College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Tickled Blue

+5 HS
Northern Nevada Buck's picture
December 23, 2018 at 11:46pm
28 Comments

As someome who lived (and died) with OSU during the 1988 to 2000 period (aptly named if you know what I mean) ... the thing I hung onto most was recruiting. I read every copy of BSB...there was even a mag called Scarlet & Grey which was colorful and didn't leave ink on your hands. I'm embarrassed to say I spent a week's salary phoning Lemmings' 900 number to get the latest on Pace's recruitment. (Before the days of the interwebs) Anyone remember Floyd Weddeburn? I do...and spent too much coin worrying about whether he was signing with the good guys or that new threat to the East...PSU. With the exception of the disastrous 1991 class ... Cooper outrecruited Michigan most years. We fans would crow about the offseason "victories" knowing that the tide would turn. It did twice in that stretch (no...I don't share Gee's assertion that the 13-13 tie was some monumental achievement) , 1994 and 1998. Hope sprung eternal during the long national (Buckeye Nation) nightmare and the choice made to fire Bruce (which was going to happen eventually) and replaced him with a guy who could not beat his rivals (Oklahoma State when he was at Tulsa and Arizona while at ASU) is the only reason the series stands at 51 - 58, instead of 55-54. Yet...recruiting was good. Not getting Woodson, however, was the "difference " in 1995, 1996 and, 1997. Damn...imagine winning from 1994 to 1998? Alas...not to be. Soooo...the Weenies are soooo excited about their 8th ranked class ... and it's a good one...much like Cooper's classes were. (And Carr's turn of the century classes were and Hoke's classes and Harbaugh's classes so far) etc, etc. But the truth is...if Day gets 4 more signees OSU's class...with seven or 8 fewer members...may actually surpass Michigan's class ... while returning enough vets to kick their weasel asses again! Then what? I know what. I lived and died that WHAT. It's Groundhog Day. And that TUN (Turd Up North) may find a nut, eventually, but, as has been stated here and there...with the exception of the 1970s and one miracle year in 1997...scUM has fallen well short of their Abner Doubleday era exploits. So...have fun reading their forums and their joy and optimism. Let them think they now look like a supermodel after Wednesday's recruiting makeover, when we know they look more like Mama June. (Not that there's anything's wrong with that) I'm giddy at OSU's future... maybe even tickled.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 28 Comments