College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Inconsistent “Targeting” Calls Across College Football

+3 HS
Ohio_Against_The_World's picture
September 16, 2018 at 10:34pm
33 Comments

The targeting call against TCU vs OSU last night was the first time I can remember a targeting call getting reversed. I didn’t really think it was a malicious hit meant to cause harm, but it should’ve been targeting based upon what the rule says right? In either the Oregon State or Rutgers (I think it was one of our games as I watched a lot of football those weekends) game the same call was made, reviewed, and even though it didn’t seem like it malicious the call still stood. The commentators even said something to the extent of “even though it didn’t look intentional, by the way the rule states it it is targeting.” The player was ejected and that was that. 

Im watching the rerun of the Michigan vs SMU game on Big10 network and a Michigan player was ejected for targeting on a play very similar to the call when the TCU player hit Haskins last night. Denzel ward hit last year against Maryland (the famous BBQ quote was born on that play) was one that will always stick out in my mind as a horrible call for targeting. I think Joey Bosa had one in a bowl game his last year (vs ND I think) and a few more that stick out. 

Does anyone else think they are picking and choosing from game to game or red to red on what the rule actually is or isn’t? The Michigan game was with 6 mins left in the 3rd quarter of you want to go view it. I just don’t know how that one is targeting, the one on Ward last year was targeting, but last night the TCU player wasn’t? 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 33 Comments