College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Hail No. Smashing Michigan's Mystique

+16 HS
ChristianHaven's picture
October 9, 2017 at 2:06am
102 Comments

Here are some real gems about Michigan football arrogance from Hondo Carpenter writing for Scout, and also a cautionary message about how to earn championship banners.

What Mystique? Having beaten Michigan in 8 of the last 10 years, "Mark Dantonio has single-handedly laid waste to the Jim Harbaugh and the Michigan Wolverine Mystique that has permeated our great nation."

Jim Tressel and Urban Meyer may have just a little to do about it too. 

"While Michigan fans revel in the legacy of Schembechler and the terrific coach that he was, they conveniently forget his failures at the end of the season, his lack of national titles, and the lack of national impact the Wolverines had..."

"But while [Harbaugh is] creeping towards the halfway point of his third season, the reality is he is now 1-4 against his rivals of Michigan State and Ohio State. That's reality... The mystique is gone. The cloak of invincibility and superiority is gone; history."

Building Champions. "If you were to honestly compare the Michigan Wolverine legacy with Tom Izzo you'd see two totally different approaches. Now, I understand Tom Izzo coaches basketball, but the comparison is fair. If Tom Izzo scheduled like Jim Boeheim at Syracuse, he would have significantly more career wins. Boeheim rarely schedules difficult pre-conference opponents while Tom Izzo longs for them. I once asked Tom Izzo about the way he scheduled and he frankly told me, 'I don't give a (expletive) about wins. I only care about banners. Wins look great in record books but banners are the true test of success. I am not trying to win the record book; I want to win when it matters, banners.'"

Urban Meyer has not won a championship title with an undefeated team.  Think about that.  How many banners will be hung at Ohio Statium from boring beat-downs of UNLV or Bowling Green?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 102 Comments