College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

What is Michigan State's Ceiling?

+3 HS
JTFor President2016's picture
September 26, 2017 at 3:25pm
78 Comments

Without a doubt, no team has given us more fits than MSU in the Urban Meyer era. Coming off of their 3-9 season last year, I was interested to see how they would perform against Notre Dame last week. I know it has been talked about on College GameDay and other college football shows, but do any of you guys see anyway Michigan State gets back to CFP contention in the near future. Personally, I don't see it. 

I 100% give full credit to Dantonio. I think he is a fantastic coach and one of the most underrated in the sport, but his programs rise strongly correlated with the fall of the other big programs within the conference. It's no surprise that MSU began to improve during the Rich Fraud era at UM, and then the rise continued through tattoogate and eventually the PSU debacle. 

From last year on, Dantonio will be recruiting and competing against 3 of the more storied teams in college football, just within his division. Now that Ohio State, Penn State, and UM are competing on a National level (OSU never really left besides one year), I don't know what to expect from them. Are they going to be a 5-7 team every year, and maybe have a year where they win 7 games? Or will they be a Wisconsin type team who finds a way to win 9 or 10 games and can upset one of the Big 3 on a yearly basis?

EDIT: I don't necessarily mean this year. Mainly, if you looked back in 2027 and evaluated MSU over the past decade, what type of team do you think you'd see?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 78 Comments