College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Not Drinking the UK Kool-Aid

0 HS
LealmanBuckeye's picture
April 1, 2015 at 1:08pm
59 Comments

I don't hate Kentucky. I really don't. My best friend from high school grew up not far from Lexington. I cheered with him when they won. I was as livid as he was that Laettner didn't get ejected for his stomp on Timberlake, and I consoled him when Laettner hit "the shot". I have put more rooting interest in a SEC school in my lifetime than I ever thought I would. But not this year.

So many media outlets are accepting it as fact that Kentucky will go undefeated. More than one opinion piece tell us not only to accept it, but to embrace this team. The Four-Letter Network and the rest of the media chuckleheads are verbally fellating Calipari and Co. at a level unseen since the days of The Holy Tebow. They said that Notre Dame beating Kentucky would have thrown a wrench in the tournament. I say that Notre Dame beating Kentucky would have made this tournament legendary.

This Final Four still has a chance to be legendary. Apologies to DJ, but an all-B1G final would make it legendary. Gone would be the Kentucky One-and-Dones. Gone would be Duke, the Yankees of college basketball. Seventh-seed Sparty, left for dead as recently as January, and a Wisconsin team trying to earn an unqualified status upgrade to "elite"? There's your storyline. Something new. Something fresh. Something unpretentious. Yes, most here wish Bo Ryan ill (any other time, I would agree), and the same would go for Izzo, although likely to a lesser extent. But given a choice between that and a predictable matchup between Been There and Done That? I know which one I'd rather watch.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 59 Comments