Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Hall Across The Country- Week 26

+32 HS
IamJoeHall's picture
November 12, 2022 at 7:40pm
46 Comments

Well ladies and germs, the end is drawing nigh. This was an awesome week overall, avoided most of the nasty winter storm that came through the Sierras, met some more amazing people, got to see another Buckeye game, finally made it to California, just a really good place for me right now I guess. 

So much like Xavier Johnson….we are off to the races.

Day 176- Covered 23 miles from Fernley to Stagecoach, NV. The first 16 miles or so was a slow climb, but upon turning west onto 50 in Silver Spring, the wind started kicking me right in the balls. So the last 7-8 miles or so was into 20-30mph winds. This was on the front edge of the winter storm that came through. I got to Central Lyon Fire Protection district station 37 and they had a spot under a large overhang that was attached to a spare warehouse area that I could camp in. Perfect for wind shelter and potential rain as was forecast. So I set the tent up right against the building, didn’t bother with the rainfly and crashed. Or tried to. The firefighters checked on me around 830 just after I’d fallen asleep and woke me up, then again later when the wind really picked up with gusts probably in the 50s or more. My safe spot ended up having sand blown into it while I was sleeping lol. The firefighters offered to move me inside but I was so warm and comfy in the sleeping bag I declined. 

Day 177- This was a shorter day, covered 18 miles from Stagecoach to Dayton, NV where I rented an AirBnB for the night. The first 12 miles or so were right back into that same wind from the day before so my legs got smoked quick. Go to the AirBnB and met Joe and Sue the owners and they were awesome people. They offered to let me stay the next night for free if I wanted to avoid incoming snow, but I told them, “Ain’t nobody got time for that!” Lol. I explained I didn’t have a day to give up or I would’ve. For the price they charged for the AirBnB, they over delivered. It was a full on guest suite and was nicer than almost every hotel I’ve stayed in. They started following on Facebook as well and helped to spread the message which was awesome.

Day 178- AND THEN THE SNOWS CAME. I departed Dayton and began climbing up out of the valley. The first 6-7 miles were fine. Chilly but no wind. Once I crested the big hill, the snow began. I, who routinely walks in shorts and a hoodie, looked like a proper moron. The snow was coming down fairly heavy, and at times was near whiteout. But the temperature wasn’t cold, and maybe it’s just because I’ve been on the road so long, but I was smiling and having a great time. Despite the hoodie being caked with snow and ice. I wasn’t cold so it was tolerable. Joe and Sue had gone into Carson City, and drove back by me on their way home and checked on me. They were probably wondering why I was still in shorts and hoodie with no gloves. I told them I have wool gloves but once they get wet I’ll be screwed so I just kept hand warmers in my hoodie pocket and used them when needed. The snow was accumulating quickly and around 12 miles in, Mike, one of the firefighters from two days earlier told me he was going to give me a lift the remaining 3 miles. There was no shoulder, the roads (aside from 50 at the time) weren’t being plowed and he didn’t want me getting hit. So when I got to the hotel I made up three miles. 

Day 179- Started off this day doing some laundry, and heading to Sportsman’s Warehouse to get a set of boots thinking I’d need them to ford through the snow. I met Steena, one of the employees and after hearing the story of the walk, she bought the boots for me. I would only use them on this day so I feel terrible for her buying them. Today was an easy 13 miles from Carson to Minden, NV.  Had some grub, and got some rest. The next few days would be the last big challenge. 

Day 180- Started off by getting together with Brett Wilson. He’s a Navy veteran who got connected to me through Jason Hanner, another Navy vet  I met in Nebraska who’s walked the country with a group before. Brett offered to transport my stroller the next two days as I’d have some vicious climbs and minimal shoulder on the road. He also dropped off his Sitka day bag for me to use. The day started off easy with the first 6-7 miles being relatively flat. Temps were in the 10-15 range at start but after an hour and a half I’d peeled off the sweat pants, mask and gloves. Once I got about 7 miles in, the climb began. Over the next 8 miles at Kingsbury Grade (Nevada 207) I’d gain 2,400 feet of elevation. Maybe an hour into the climb, with ice still on portions of the road, and still seeing my breath i was down to only base layers and dripping sweat. I managed to cover the 8 mile climb at about 2.67mph which I was completely happy with. I descended 1,000 feet the next three miles into Tahoe then to South Lake Tahoe and my hotel. The manager of the High Country Lodge when he’d heard about my journey canceled the Expedia booking and gave me the room for free. I doordashed some Panda and I can’t remember what else just trying to pack in calories. Covered 23-24 miles today.

Day 181- Departed South Tahoe with temps in the single digits. Today I decided to forego the sweats because I’d warmed up so fast the previous day…only the previous day I’d left roughly an hour and a half later, so my first four miles were cold. My legs were tingling. Got to Meyers and went in a gas station for some travel snacks, upon leaving the gas station I passed two coyotes on the sidewalk just chilling. I wanted to pet them. After leaving Meyers I began the last major climb of the trip. Over maybe 2.5 miles I climbed another 1,200 feet or so to Echo Summit. Some great views but very little to no shoulder. Some cars and semis weren’t pleased to see a pedestrian legally on the road. I crested the summit and began the 18 mile descent of almost 3,400 feet. I stopped in Strawberry, California at the general store for a quick lunch and grabbed some hotdogs and buns to take to my hotel knowing there were no food options otherwise. I had a nice talk with a wedding party who’d just gotten married at Lovers Leap. I began the last 9 miles with the sun dipping into the horizon. I met back up with Brett who passed me enroute to dropping off the stroller and we talked briefly. I had 3.5 miles to go and it’d be tough to make it before it was dark and I left my headlamp on the stroller. So the majority of the last 3.5 miles I ran. After a 24 mile day, my dumb ass decided to run. I made it to the Sierra Inn where my room was covered by our own CalPoppy, who’d been doing a great job of keeping me abreast of the weather and helping with logistics. I devoured four hot dogs, some Gatorade and plopped into the softest hotel bed I’ve had to rest. Covered 27 miles today. 

Day 182- Today, Grace Johnson one of the followers of the Facebook page volunteered to transport the stroller from Kyburz to Pollock Pines, CA. She also brought me pastries from a Ukrainian deli near her in Placerville. When I got to my hotel I found out she’d also left a care package of snacks and gatorades in my stroller. The walk started off with about 600 more feet of descent, then the last 7-8 miles I climbed back up 800 feet or so into Pollock Pines. Once the shoulder of the road opened up I felt much better about safely watching the game. Upon getting to my hotel tonight, the manager had also gifted me a care package of snacks after hearing about why I’m walking. After 19 miles today, no more real climbs exist, and I’m cruising to the finish. 

Again, all in all a fantastic week. Knowing I managed to time the winter storm travel plan correctly, and the fact that the accumulation wasn’t near what they’d called for on the high end, put me into a great mood for this stretch. As of right now I need to only average about 17 miles per day to finish on time, but I’m going to continue to keep it close to 20 when I can so if it gets down to the last few days I can kind of kick back and really soak up what’s left, or maybe have time to sit down and have lunch or dinner with people. 

Kamryn Babb is also a MFin inspiration. Loved seeing him get the td today. I will say, and I shit you all not, after I saw him on the field and saw his knee brace, I said to myself “They’re going to get him his score here.” Then coach Day and Stroud delivered.

Y’all are welcome for the playcall.

Until next time friends, remember….

Michigan Sucks.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 46 Comments