Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

The 2006 Title Game in the Haskins+ Era

+1 HS
Nacho's picture
April 10, 2022 at 11:07pm
10 Comments

So I was watching some of the highlights of the 2006 title game and one thing that stood out to me was that our OL play was not nearly as bad as I remember it being. I felt like a lot of what went wrong is that we were so one dimensional in that our passing game was so trash (credit Florida's DBs, but I also think a lot of that is on QB and WR play).

We could actually get a push on the OL for a running game. The problem was that was all we could do so Florida just had to defend against that. I saw many times where Troy missed open receivers and also I think not having Teddy after getting injured really hurt us.

I think a lot of that same sentiment could be said about the 2016 Fiesta Bowl against Clemson. It really wasn't that we weren't physical enough, it was more the QB play that was the issue.

I seriously feel like if we had a QB that was born out of the Day/Haskins era (Dwayne Train, Fields, or Stroud), we at least make the game much closer than it was. The reason I bring this up is because I had this fear that if we roll into the playoffs again feeling unstoppable the way we did in 2006 (We could very well do that this year) I had a fear we could get ran over like that again. But I feel better about it after watching the highlights.

Now you can bring up the 2020 title game against Bama but I feel that is a lot different because nobody thought Ohio State was unstoppable going into the playoffs (yes they may have after we played Clemson, but that's one game) and we had half our starting DL out with covid. Any Buckeye fan being reasonable knew we were in trouble when we found out Togiai and Tyreke Smith were out. If anything people felt like Bama was unstoppable, which they were.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 10 Comments