Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

TTUN Fan Sentenced To One Year in Prison For Threatening To Harm Ohio State Players

+14 HS
Weave77's picture
October 27, 2020 at 6:20pm
43 Comments

Daniel Lee Rippy, 29, of Livermore, California, was sentenced to 12 months in prison after pleading guilty in federal court to a single felony count of making a threat in interstate communications.

Rippy, a life-long University of Michigan football fan who grew up in Grand Rapids before moving to the West Coast, where, according to the government, he worked in fast food but couldn't maintain a residence. He did, however, maintain a Facebook account, which, during The Game between Ohio State and Michigan on November 24th, 2018, he used to threaten the Buckeyes with mass murder, saying:

"Your school is going to get shot the f— up and I’m seriously going to hurt the students and all the players from the football team."

Officers at Ohio Stadium were placed on alert as a result, though it was later determined that Rippy posed no immediate danger.

In his defense, Rippy told the court that he was having a bad day, was worked up over some sports trash talk with a friend, and said something he didn’t mean. “I feel really bad about it,” Rippy said. “I know I affected a lot of people. I’m really sorry for that. … I have learned my lesson.

Despite that, given the seriousness of the crime, Judge Algenon Marbley decided to sentence Rippy to a year in prison.

There is no word if the judge also sentenced Rippy to remain a Wolverines fan for the rest of his natural life, although legal experts have opined that such a severe punishment would almost certainly be in violation of the 8th Amendment, as it would be considered "cruel and unusual".

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 43 Comments