Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Municipal Stadium Memories....

+10 HS
MadDogMike's picture
May 5, 2020 at 6:03pm
46 Comments

Hey All, while we live a life that one couldn't even dream about a year ago, I am just curious to read about others memories regarding that grand old stadium referred to, by many, as the Mistake By The Lake.  I grew up in NW Ohio, and visited the old ballpark numerous times in my life.  My recollections of the site were usually positive, and like so many things of my life, what I remember about the adventures there always brings a smile to my face... I will give you a few of mine, to start with....;

* 1968 or '69, I loved the Packers, and they visited the Browns in early December.  Vince had retired, it was a cold, rainy, windy day, we sat in the elements behind 3rd base, the Pack got smoked, my feet got wet and I ended up getting pneumonia...         * I have always been a huge Yankee fan, so in September of 1978, we headed up to watch Ron Guidry go after his 21st or 22nd victory of the year against the Tribe.  Ol' Gator won the Cy Young that year, going 25 and 4, Munson went 2 for 4 and drove in 2 runs, and they won 4-2.  When we arrived at the ticket booth, I asked where we could sit for good views, and the ticket taker said, "Anywhere", and laughed.  I think there were 14,000 in attendance that day...............                                                        * Also I think in '78 ?, the ex, our best couple friends, and 3-4 others headed up to see the Stones and Kansas on an overcast July? afternoon...we had the farthest seats away from the stage; upper deck, center aisle, straight behind home plate, and every time Wyman hit a bass note, it would reverberate through those bent tin louvers that wrapped around the Stadium.  Keith had to get a complete blood transfusion in order to play this tour, as his heroin addiction had rattled the customs people.  They played 90 minutes...max ?, and headed off stage.  The tens of thousands of fans down on the field started chanting their names and the Bic lighters were aglow, but from our viewpoint, we saw 5 or 6 stretch limos go flying out of the gates, so we knew this day was over and headed towards the exits...                                                         * August 31st, 1974, CSN&Y, Jesse Colin Young, Santana and The Band... three of my best friends and I....they all had hallucinogens, and I had to buy something on the 3/4 mile walk to the stadium...one of the greatest concerts I ever witnessed....CSN&Y played 30 + songs....the place was packed to the gills...tremendous atmosphere, a grand old day in a grand old place.....anybody else ?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 46 Comments