Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

What Will You Do in the Absence of Sports?

+10 HS
MiamiBuckeye's picture
March 12, 2020 at 12:06pm
90 Comments

The NBA has been put on hiatus, international soccer fixtures are being cancelled and many European leagues have already gone on hiatus, MLS has just suspended its season, and just now the major NCAA conferences have been announcing the cancellations of their conference tourneys. It seems inevitable that March Madness will be either postponed or canceled entirely. 

Nobody knows how bad coronavirus will get in the United States, no one knows yet how long the current state of affairs will last, if it will get worse before it gets better or if it will fizzle out with smart collective action. 

What does seem likely, perhaps even certain, is that we may not have sports for a while. Maybe a few weeks, maybe months. 

So the question becomes, what do we do? I teach English at University of North Texas, a university that has not yet announced cancellation of classes but is likely to do so soon. I'll still be teaching, albeit online. Modifying my class plans for an online platform will be difficult and time consuming, but I'll still have plenty of down time. 

I plan on filling that downtime by being productive. I have so many books I haven't had a chance to read yet, and lots of writing projects that still need doing. I may also get back into gaming, something I haven't had much time for as of late. 

What about the rest of you? How will you fill the time that sports' absence will create? 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 90 Comments