Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

BARBARA BUSH - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

+28 HS
Cruiser72's picture
April 18, 2018 at 7:42pm
20 Comments

I was a career Marine, and in 1990 I found myself in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and I was there for 8 months, I serviced the OV-10D Broncos, and armed them for self-defense, as they were our eyes in the sky in Iraq, I came home on August 21st 1991 aboard a USAF C-130 Hercules, (in case you've never ridden one) A very long, cold, and miserable flight, all of us aboard still carried our weapons and were in our brand new digital utility uniforms, we landed on the morning of the 23rd, and we deplaned by rank, The 2 pilots were senior to me, so I came down the ramp 3rd, the ramp dropped, and we walked towards the terminal of Andrews AFB, and were immediately greeted at the fence gate by non-other than Barbara herself, I called a halt to the group, and hand-salute, the 2 pilots went in for debriefing, and the First Lady grabbed my hand and shook it with vigor, and a smile that would light New York, and she apologized that George could not be there, she ask my name and what state I was from, I gave her back a gigantic smile, and in a booming voice told her MAAM, I AM A PROUD BUCKEYE, AND HAVE BEEN HONORED TO SERVE FOR YOU ! She then replied I am so glad we have young people here from Indiana ! I did not correct her, she gave me a hug, and sent me on my way..... ON THAT DAY I WAS THE PROUDEST MARINE IN THE CORPS.

It was not till 1997, I received a letter from her, thanking me for not correcting her, and apologizing for not knowing where a Buckeye was from, I still have that letter on my wall in a frame, and her picture beside it.

I will say no more other than to all my friends here, memories are fragile, one day one will look you in the eye and make YOU proud you made it.

SEMPER FI

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 20 Comments