Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

John Oates' Mustache - TIMH

+8 HS
John Cooper's lucky pig's picture
April 7, 2018 at 11:57am
31 Comments

One of rock's greatest mustaches (and songwriters) was born today in 1949 in New York City. John Oates grew up in the Philadelphia area and met future partner Daryl Hall while attending Temple University. Oates had performed and recorded prior to working with Hall, but it wasn't until the two collaborated that Oates musical prowess was fully recognized.

Though both attended Temple, Hall and Oates met at a battle of the bands competition in Philadelphia. Both were with their respective bands and probably wouldn't have met were it not for a gang shooting at the concert hall. The shooting sent people scrambling and H&O ended up hiding together. They struck up a conversation, realized they had much in common musically and started hanging out and eventually living and playing together.

Hall & Oates signed a major label recording deal in 1972, but it would take a few years and albums, along with a label change, before they hit it big. The songs "Sara Smile" and "She's Gone" were the duo's first top-10 hits, reaching #4 and #7 in 1976. The success was fairly short lived and it would take until 1981 for them to again see the top-10, with "Kiss on My List" at #1 and "You Make My Dreams" at #5. That same year H&O released their biggest album, "Private Eyes". The album reached #5 and spawned two #1 hits with the title track and "I Can't Go For That".

Oates was often overshadowed by Hall since Hall was the suave singer and Oates was a goofy looking everyman. Don't let the looks deceive you, Oates was as integral to their success as anyone. He could do a bit of everything - songwriting, vocals, guitar - and do it quite well. Hall & Oates were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2014.

Perhaps his greatest achievement of all, Oates starred in one of the most 80s videos of the 1980s. Anyone know why he is so pissed or even what this video is about?:

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 31 Comments