Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

The Horology Corner (Talking Watches)

+6 HS
JM's picture
October 11, 2017 at 4:56pm
72 Comments

A few months ago I was gazing down at my Apple Watch and something hit me ― I really didn't need or want all that technology on my wrist. But, I really wanted to wear a watch daily. So, what's a person to do? There are thousands of watchmakers and probably a hundred thousand of watch models and styles. Being fairly ignorant on the topic of watches I did what anyone would do in 2017; I started Googling.

What I found was that I both astonishing and a little overwhelming. There are basically three types of watches (excluding the omnipresent "Smart Watch"):

MANUAL: A manual movement, frequently called a hand-wound movement, is the oldest type of watch movement made, dating back to the 16th century. It requires daily winding in order to work. Manual movements are the most traditional movements and are usually found in very conservative, expensive, and collectable watches.

AUTOMATIC: An automatic, or self-winding, movement is a mechanical movement first marketed in the beginning decades of the 20th century. It winds itself while worn on the wrist, eliminating the need for daily hand winding. However, if not worn for some time, the watch will stop and require a manual winding. This does not include taking the watch off before bed.

QUARTZ: A quartz movement uses a battery for its power source and does not need winding like a mechanical watch. It is the most accurate type of movement currently being produced.

As I would come to learn, many watch enthusiasts, some of whom refer to themselves as "horologists", seemed to prefer an Automatic Movement to all others. There seems to be some bias towards Automatics as being more "true" wristwatch experience. Your mileage may vary.

Through my research on the topic I set some goals for myself. A price range, a movement type, a style and a brand, not necessarily in that order. As I looked through all of the watches in my price range that were Automatic Movements I came to learn that my tastes really center around what are known as "field" watches. The basic definition, as best as I can discern, is that a "field" watch takes its inspiration from styles of the past that were used in the field of battle, particularly WW2. And also styles that crept into popular culture following that war, until falling out of favor.

Ultimately, I found myself completely enamored with the Hamilton Watch Company. Their corporate history of originating in Lancaster, Pennsylvania and having a reputation of making accurate pocket and wrist watches used by both railroad workers and later aviators in battle. Funny thing is, like many things that were born in America, it no longer truly exists outside of brand name only. 

Hamilton was purchased by The Swatch Group (based out of Geneva, Switzerland) in the 1980s and has been part of the portfolio of that company ever since. Like the eyeglasses on my face (Ray Ban Clubmasters) they are truly part of a larger multinational overseas. A former American based company that is no longer. That doesn't necessarily connote anything negative, just, reality. The fact that they are made in Switzerland means that there is at least some Swiss loving put into their current time pieces. Even if it's simply the in house movement and not the assembly (which is likely in Asia).

Here's a stock image of my current obsession, the Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic:

Another impetus for this thread is the below video. I came across a recent interview done by the founder of this watch enthusiast site called Hodinkee (yes, Hodinkee ― gesundheit) with none other than Buckeye and PGA legend, Jack Nicklaus. Jack discusses all things having to do with his beloved Rolex Day/Date that he has worn since 1966.

One last thing, just because of my lack of warmth shown to the Apple Watch, don't let that dissuade you from discussing any type of watch. I'm certainly not a watch "snob" as they are referred to in some quarters. I've owned probably four watches in my 41 years. The Timex Ironman I had in the mid 1980's that was a marvel to me every day I wore it. Some years later in my early 20's I got an ESQ Quartz. Later came the Apple Watch and now, my Hamilton Khaki Field. Whether you love Casio G-Shock's or Omega's ― all are encouraged to discuss. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 72 Comments