Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Lawyers/Recent LSAT takers enter...

+3 HS
Urbz4President's picture
February 11, 2017 at 1:50pm
33 Comments

Before I get into a rather lengthy explanation, I'll go ahead and extend to all of you my reason for creating this thread: What study method/company did you use for your LSAT? Would you have gone with something else? Any methods/companies you've heard good things about from your colleagues?

Alright, so I'm a non-traditional student who is (most likely) transferring to OSU this coming fall from a smaller college here in Ohio. I'll probably be double-majoring in Political Science and Philosophy. Law is something I am passionate about. I started my undergraduate at the ripe age of 28 (two years ago) with the sole intention of attending a top law school. I don't have a particular interest in BigLaw/Corporate/Patent stuff, hence why I'm not a science major. I understand that is where the money is, but a six-figure income and a corner office isn't my reason for choosing law. Certainly, it would be nice and I wouldn't turn it down, but that isn't where my passion lies. I truly love constitutional issues and civil liberties. 

That said, I'm 63 semester hours through my undergrad and I have a 4.0 GPA with honors. I've received multiple awards and scholarships and do some volunteer work as well. I'll be looking to accelerate my extra-curricular work in Columbus (or wherever I end up). I really pride myself on being humble, but I really believe myself to be an excellent writer (when I try, don't judge me based on internet posts). I recently wrote a personal statement for admissions and a mentor of mine said it was the best personal statement they had ever read. That person also served on an admissions committee for one of the Top 3 law schools in the country. That same person has also clerked under a SCOTUS Justice and has repeatedly told me that I would make an excellent attorney. 

So in light of all of that, if I am able to maintain my grades for the next few semesters and do some significant extra-curricular work, I really do believe I have the potential to gain admission to a T-14 school, if not a Top 5. However, there is still one major, major variable unaccounted for: my LSAT score.

I have yet to take the LSAT. I took a short diagnostic test available through Kaplan (by no means a fully timed, proctored LSAT) and I was placed around a 165. That is without having ever studied for an LSAT or even really looked at one. In fact, I did it at 2 AM a few weeks ago when I was battling some insomnia. I'm well aware that score and a full LSAT score are birds of a completely different feathers, apples to oranges if you will, but I like my chances in receiving a satisfactory score after some rigorous studying. 

I'm planning to take the LSAT this fall, most likely right after I move to Columbus. Ideally, I'd rather take a few upper-level philosophy/logic courses before taking the LSAT. However, I will be completely free from early May through late August this year, due to the fact that I'll only be taking one class over the summer to finish my foreign language requirement. I'll be working as well, but I'm not sure that I'll ever be as "free" to solely concentrate on this all-important test as I will be this summer.

So, for those of you who have taken it, what study methods did you utilize? I'm asking you all because it seems as though every online forum discussing LSAT examination has some sort of a silent partnership with a preparation company. A lot of posts simply read like paid endorsements and each forum seems to have a different tilt. There are a lot of "LSAT gurus" out there who have claimed to have scored 180's and been admitted to Yale, but for some reason they run dicey online instruction companies making bold promises instead of charting out remarkable careers in jurisprudence. 

Money is somewhat of an issue. There are some reputable companies charging $100+ an hour for private tutoring, which is outrageous and I refuse to partake. I mean, if I were wealthy I probably would. However, there are also some very reputable companies who offer in-class instruction, coupled with self-study, online learning, proctored LSAT practice tests, etc. These can run upwards of $1500 for a 4 month course and I may be comfortable with paying that. My parents would probably be willing to kick me the money, as they have repeatedly offered to help me financially, but luckily I've been able to decline their offers due to academic scholarships and grants. Some LSAT prep companies ask for 6 months of prep, some 4, some 3, some 2. Not sure what the best method is here. 

If $1500 contributed towards a class raises my score to a 175, meaning I could potentially get into the best law schools in the world with a significant scholarship (aka, save myself six-figures of debt), then I think it is money well spent. 

I have a few friends who have taken LSATs and studied somewhat for them, but they've all ended up in 3rd tier schools and are struggling to find jobs. Not to insult anyone who has attended a lower-ranking school, but with the legal market the way it is, I feel it is imperative to get into a T14 school or find a different career path. 

Any and all information is greatly appreciated folks! Thanks in advance!!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 33 Comments