Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Metallica releases Kill Em All TIMH

+7 HS
steveoz49's picture
July 25, 2016 at 10:55am
49 Comments

Let's see if I can do better than my previous...

It was on this day, 1983 that Metallica released Kill Em All, originally to be called Metal Up Your Ass.  This release changed the course of time in hard rock/metal and thrash.  It is regarded by many as groundbreaking and who could seriously argue?  It has been certified 3x Platinum.  If you were a child of the 80's and 90's and you were starting a garage band, Kill Em All was in your regular rotation.  No doubt you tried to figure out Whiplash, Am I Evil and The Four Horsemen.  They were staples for many garage bands, I know... I was one of those garage bands.  Actually, my buddy lived on a farm and we were able to turn a barn into a jam barn.  I'm not going to get deep into Metallica's history as it's been discussed many times and I'm not sure that I could anything significant that already hasn't been discussed.  I'm just going to focus on the album and hit on some things that I hope you find interesting. 

First off.. some believe that Dave Mustaine is actually on this album.  He's not.  He wrote some of the songs and was instrumental in the arrangement of many, if not all of the songs.  One song in particular, The Four Horsemen, was later recorded by Megadeth as Dave said that it was his song and he begged Metallica to not use it.  He recorded his version of it as Mechanix. 

Hit The Lights... this song is performed at 160 beats per minute.  That's rather fast seeing as most songs are at or around 120.

The Four Horsemen... if you listen around the 3:30 mark, that little bridge you hear is actually the same riff as Sweet Hole Alabama

Motorbreath...we're talking 4 basic chords, B, A, G & F#  (if I'm off, I'm sure someone will correct me.  This is how I hear it and play it)

Jump In The Fire... clearly the works of Dave Mustaine.  Known for it's guitar pattern in the beginning that just instantly hooks you in.

(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth... Cliff Burton's masterpiece.  I just got goose bumps!

Phantom Lord... Dave Mustaine's nod to devilry.  I believe the chord progression is D-E-G-D-E-D.  I'm shooting this one from the hip.  If I'm wrong, again, please someone correct me.

No Remorse....This is a Hetfield song and if you listen to it closely, you can hear hints of this song in many more Metallica songs to come over the years.  This song is Hetfield at his finest.

Seek and Destroy.....have a listen to Diamond Head's "Dead Reckoning" and you'll hear rather quickly just how that song inspired Seek and Destroy.  This is a fan favorite and hopefully it's played at every single show.  If you listen at the 3:45 mark in the song, there's a guitar mistake.  A dead/bum note.  I love that they left it on the album.

Metal Militia.... another Mustaine driven song.  This is an insanely fast song.  Dave created the main riff to emulate an army and the song ends with tramping feet with a bullet ricochet with a fade out.

So there it is.. have at it folks.  I was going to post some YouTube clips, but I'll let the masses do that.  So let's hear what you think.

Thanks for listening,

Oz

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 49 Comments