Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

The proper way to cook a Brat(wurst).

+2 HS
RubixTube's picture
June 7, 2016 at 9:47am
67 Comments

#Offseason

I’ve been locked in a heated debate with my BIL recently regarding the proper way to cook/prepare a bratwurst.  The way I see it, there are two basic schools of thought when it comes to cooking a brat…

Boil it:

I admit, in my younger days, this was my go-to method for cooking a brat.  It limits grill flare-ups while also providing the opportunity to infuse some flavor into your sausage, which is why people will add anything from beer & onions to their own spice blend and even butter.  Boiling typically produces a gray-ish looking brat that is completely cooked but lacks that signature “snap” when you bite into it. 

Grill it:

As I have matured and learned to control the flame on my grill (charcoal or propane), I’ve adjusted my cooking method to be 100% grilled.  Johnsonville Brats come with instructions to place directly on the grill at med-high heat for 15-20 minutes, turning frequently.  I’ve found that around 5 minutes per side leaves me with a perfectly caramelized skin and completely cooked sausage.  What about infusing flavors?   Feel free to marinade/pre-soak your brats in your favorite beer/spice mixture before they hit the grill, or use a needle and inject the flavor (don't pierce the skin!), just don’t boil them.

Clearly I display a bit of bias when it comes to method.  Realizing that the 11W community brings some grilling/cooking Elites to the ring, I’m counting on you to end the debate once and for all.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 67 Comments