Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

IT/Sysadmin Questions

0 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture
January 28, 2016 at 1:55pm
46 Comments

Ok, so I'm at a stand still on a couple of things that I honestly can't seem to either find on the web or find someone in my building who knows what the hell I'm talking about.

My first problem is a Sun/Oracle server that has an audible alarm that will not go away.  I've tried numerous reboots and checked for faults in LOM and nothing.  If anyone has any suggestions on this that would be great because the sound makes me want to punch babies and it's the ESXi host server, so I'm on it quite a bit.

Secondly, I have some concerns with upgrading our old ESXi server from 5.1 to 5.5.  The people using it are complaining about down time and I'm not currently authorized to work in the building after hours.  Can the upgrade be done seamlessly or do I need to block a couple hours?  I've heard the process is easy but there are numerous issues that can come up.

Lasty, we just acquired Veeam for our VM backup solutions and I'm having a difficult time with one particular VM.  The problem is that I can't create a backup because there isn't enough room on the datastore for the snapshots.  Typically I would just add another disk to the server and expand the datastore but that isn't an option right now.  If anyone has Veeam experience, that would be great.

On a brighter note, Veeam is about a million times better than Acronis on VMware.  So if you're in the field, I'd recommend it.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 46 Comments