Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

JOHN BELUSHI (1/24/1949 – 3/5/1982) – JAKE BLUES – TIMH

0 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture
January 24, 2016 at 8:03am
20 Comments

John Belushi was born in Chicago, IL, this date in 1949. He died of an accidental drug OD little more than 33 years later. He was a comedian with the Second City improv group, National Lampoon, and most notably, in the original cast of Saturday Night Live (1975 – 1979). And, you might have heard he was an actor in films like Animal House, 1941, The Neighbors, Continental Divide and, the reason for this little remembrance, Blues Brothers.

Yes, John Belushi was also a musician. Belushi and his soul brother, Dan Aykroyd, transformed themselves into Jake and Elwood Blues, front men for the Blues Brothers. They played these roles to the hilt, touring with their band and releasing three original albums: A Briefcase Full of Blues (Billboard #1), The Blues Brothers: Music from the Soundtrack (#13), and Made in America (#49). They were backed by a horn section from Blood Sweat and Tears, and guitarist Steve Cropper and bassist Donald “Duck” Dunn, from Booker T and the MG, the famous house band at Stax in Memphis, TN. Belushi was the lead singer and belted out blues and rock standards with infectious energy. It’s fair to say that the Blues Brothers revived interest in these classics when we most needed it, the soon-to-be post-disco era. Listening to the Blues Brothers always makes me smile, laugh and sing along.

Within days of his death, Belushi was scheduled to present the first annual Best Visual Effects Oscar at the 1982 Academy Awards with Dan Aykroyd. Aykroyd presented the award alone, and stated from the podium: "My partner would have loved to have been here tonight to present this award, since he was a bit of a Visual Effect himself."

Belushi has been interred twice at Abel's Hill Cemetery in Chilmark on Martha's Vineyard. A tombstone marking the original burial location has a skull and crossbones, that reads, "I may be gone but Rock and Roll lives on."

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 20 Comments