Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Anyone else getting tired of the people in the construction field and the rediculous requirements? (had a bad day yesterday)

0 HS
awlinBrutus's picture
September 25, 2015 at 6:11am
52 Comments

As I have said before I am a small roofing contractor and have been primarily subbing the labor portion from the big roofing company's. just recently started a project at a large regional university here in Miami. i'm  not so much talking about the fall/arrest osha requirements and general safety as I am about the GC's individual requirements. the paperwork has gotten out of hand imo. before the project even starts each sub has to submit a job specific safety plan and risk analysis. on this particular project the safety PM loves her job and the authority that she wields a little too much imo. we are using a perimeter warning/controlled access zone on the roof and have to be tied off 100%. nothing new, been doing this since 05/06. I subbed the labor portion of the roof @ the Miami marlins stadium, which to date was my crowning achievement in my roofing career. not to mention it pulled me out of the worst economical times since becoming a contractor.  after submitting all the required documents I have to fill out a PTP every morning before 8 (pre task plan). redundantly detailing what was accepted by the GC in our submittals. after the day is completed I submit another form detailing the same shit again only post task. yesterday we brought in a small 40 ton crane from an approved vendor of the GC. the crane operator has to fill out a PTP also detailing each lift and the weights blah blah blah. the crane company sent the wrong operator. come to find out this operator didn't have a NCCCO certification. wtf? really,lol? the safety PM immediately shut down the crane as I did not know he had to do all this paperwork before 1 lift is performed. again we hired this crane company because the safety pm referred them. they were shut down the week before because their crane operator didn't have a drug test within 7 days of his first day at this project. to top it off this douchebag operator let me waste about an hour trying to get his paperwork approved knowing he has no NCCCO certification and no drug test. then this ahole asked me to sign his ticket, we did 3 lifts before the pm shut us down. I told him to go pound salt!!!!! Any way in closing I have found my new calling. I'm going to take my 500 hour OSHA certification and do safety classes for contractors and get the hell out of contracting. You can make $1000 - $2000  a day doing OSHA classes for contractors as 90% do not have anyone certified to do their classes in house.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 52 Comments