Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Did You Ever Change Allegiance?

0 HS
ohioscott's picture
March 6, 2015 at 10:05am
182 Comments

I know for many it is considered wrong and bandwagon jumping, but did you use to be a fan of one team and now are a fan of another? Maybe you never liked Ohio State and now do. Share any switch of allegiance for any college or pro sports team.

I was a rah rah Reds fan as a kid and loved Pete Rose, Bobby Tolan, Tommy Helms, and Johnny Bench. My uncle took me from Columbus to old Crosley Field in 1969 and we stayed over night and went to two games against the Dodgers. They were my first MLB games.

The  Dodgers won both games by shutouts, 9-0 and 5-0, with Claude Osteen and Bill Singer pitching complete games. My 4 heroes above didn't even get a hit in the first game (if I remember right). Needless to say I was a disappointed 10 year old.

Anyways, my uncle got me a program and taught me how to keep score. I didn't convert to the Dodgers right away, but kept that scorecard for a long time and started following them in the box scores. By the next season I was converted and took a lot of heat from my friend wearing my Dodger hat and tee shirts, especially since 1970 the Dodgers finished 14 games behind the Reds, who went to the World Series.

I miss the old Dodger / Reds rivalry in the NL West.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 182 Comments