Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Cleveland Indians throwing in the towel???

KeithMC33's picture
July 30, 2014 at 2:19pm
46 Comments

Just read that they are trading Masterson to St Louis for a prospect that was just called up by the Cards from Triple AAA. Asdrubal is next on the list, and i wouldn't be surprised to see a few more go before it's all said and done.  

Such a shame, this team had high hopes entering the year. 

Eph97's picture

Gave up following them a few years back. Won't follow them again until Dolan sells the team. Baseball, being un-capped, isn't a sport for merely wealthy ambulance chasers like Dolan. You'd better be a big boy billionaire like Cuban or don't even bother.

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

This is one of the reasons why I can't get in to baseball. You play 80 somthin games, probably won't make the playoffs, trade away all of your talent?

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

sharks's picture

Too bad, he was a class act. Hopefully, the prospect will pan out, and you have to think Dolan wasn't going to give Masterson a huge contract next year.

Poor Indians, third place team in town for the foreseeable future.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

Curt Heinrichs's picture

For what it's worth, if the Indians front office follows the model that the Marlins used a while back, I'll be on board. Get rid of the older, more expensive guys. Bring in prospects with serious upside. Win World Series. Firesale. Repeat. 

Asdrubal has been a butcher in the field and isn't hitting above .250. Masterson isn't pitching well this season and supposedly wanted a ridiculous contract. I say let 'em go and see what the young guys can do. That worked pretty well when bringing up Kipnis and Chisenhall a few seasons ago. 

+4 HS
Earle's picture

Their plan is working great...except for that Winning the World Series part.  I guess you can't have everything.

Italics are for emphasis.

+7 HS
Curt Heinrichs's picture

but you can't beat the Indians as far as the number of Dollar Dog nights. It's a runaway. 

+3 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

Beers for a dime sounds like a good idea too.......

+5 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Best idea since Quarter Crack Night!

+2 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

And we all know Quarter Crack Night was hit with Cleveland area plumbers...

+3 HS
Oldschoolbuck's picture

I know it was the White Sox, but you gotta have "Disco Demolition" night (or whatever "music" passes for it now - the Biebs?)!

+1 HS
BuckeyeChief's picture

LOL you beat me to it!

"Damn I miss El Guapo"

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I can agree with this for the most part. Not a fan of a fire sale but I do get the gist for lower level teams. For the most part, much of the team is signed through the next few years and there is good, young talent there. In baseball, it's still a matter of developing the talent and if a few of the stars in the minors can start making some impact, they could be contending soon.

Masterson, in essence, has had 1 good season (last year) with the Tribe and wants $17 million a year. He's been absolutely dreadful this year and, with the exception of last year, has been mediocre at best. They weren't going to resign him so they got what they could. Maybe he'll do better in St. Louis but if he keeps pitching like he has this year, they're in for a rude awakening. We'll see what happens but based on his past history, I wouldn't count on anything good.

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Its doesn't help that he wasn't getting offensive help from his team either in at least his early losses.

Go Bucks!

CarolinaBuck's picture

The Native Americans have employed this strategy forever. Develop an all-star and trade him for a couple of sure fire can't miss prospects that rarely do anything. The Indians may be the most prolific farm team baseball has. Look at the recent years with the talent we've just given away: Cliff Lee, CC Sabathia, Manny Ramirez, Jim Thome and probably others I've forgotten about. Is it any wonder why were dead last in attendance?

MordenoftheSith's picture

I wouldn't say they're throwing in the towel.  "Nasty Masty", as he was affectionately called due to his stud pitches, has been only "Nasty" as in gross and horrible since the last two months of last season.  Would have liked to get a pitching prospect, but, another outfielder won't hurt.

Cabrera will be traded next, and considering his fielding and hitting have been straight garbage for the better part of 2.5 seasons, it's about time.

If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Masterson hasn't been himself all year. I think it's a smart move. I think Martinez is next up at short. He can be a true lead off hitter and fields much better than Cabrera. 

+2 HS
Bucksfan's picture

Reds are pretty much f'cked, too.  #alwaysnextyear

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I have no problem with them trading a guy with a 5.5 ERA, it's not like they're getting rid of Cliff Lee again or anything.

+2 HS
Curt Heinrichs's picture

Or Sabathia, for that matter. 

Bucki78's picture

Nothing to see here, just carrying on a legacy.

"But I don't have to rely on a lot of people to tell me about the traditions of Ohio State. I lived it, I breathed it, I know it and I love it." - Urban Meyer

+3 HS
rosenbuck's picture

They got a pretty good return considering the fact that he's been atrocious this year and will be a free agent this winter.  The OF is a consensus top 10 prospect for the Cards, who are one of the best organizations at drafting/developing talent.  I really liked Masterson, and he should have jumped on the offer he got this past winter.  But he probably cost himself $10 million+ on his next contract in addition to crushing the Tribe's playoff hopes.  Seriously, he was the only experienced starter on the roster, and if he pitched to his ability the team would be right in the thick of it.

I wish they could've kept Kazmir...

+4 HS
Rob Reese's picture

I wish they could've kept Kazmir...

And the sad thing?  They were out-spent by Oakland. OAKLAND!

+1 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

next one that's got to go is Swisher.......Sorry Guys but to be hitting a little over the Mendoza line with only 40 rbi's isn't gonna cut it.

+3 HS
RBuck's picture

Yeah, but he throws up an O-H-I-O after a HR.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Which sadly doesn't happen nearly enough...

bigbadbuck's picture

8 times to be exact!

Rob Reese's picture

At $15,000,000 a season, and three seasons left (including this one), I'm not sure who would want him.  He's not even able to put the ball in play FFS.  I mean, who would want him for even the major league minimum?  He'd hurt your chances, not improve them. 

He may very well go down as the worst Cleveland Indian free agent signing ever.

bigbadbuck's picture

If not THE worst at least one of the worst

Earle's picture

Keith Hernandez

Italics are for emphasis.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Everyone at work asked me why I yelled "NO" when I read the headline - This prospect better be good

+1 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

I wouldn't count on it just like the Cardinals better not count on getting significant pitching from Masterson.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

What happened to Masty - he was very good up until this year.

+1 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

I think any time you have a knee injury it'll affect you. I think that was part of it and I think he really didn't want to pitch for the Tribe this year as he was looking for 17 million dollars per and I think the Indians had no intention of paying that much money to a pitcher with a career record of 57-69 and an ERA of close to 4.25............

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

I dont understand what they are thinking.  We still had/have a chance.  But what a true disaster after puching out Detroit. I hate Shapiro. And I hate if they are giving it up.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

I heard today that they are looking at John Lackey or Jon Lester..maybe true maybe not......we'll have to see

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Priority number one should be locking down Kluber. He's just nasty. 

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Agreed just look what he did last night against King Felix

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

He has so much movement right now. His location isn't perfect, but it doesn't seem to matter. 

+2 HS
rosenbuck's picture

Looked pretty good to me, he didn't even get to 90 pitches in a complete game where he struck out 8.  69/85 for strikes.  I mean...damn.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I just meant he seemed to miss his target a little. He missed out over the plate quite a few times when he was trying to go inside. Still strikes, I'm just nitpicking. 

Rob Reese's picture

Priority number one should be locking down Kluber. He's just nasty. 

Without question.  He's the guy you literally build around, along with Brantley, Chisenhall, Salazar, McCallister (I really believe in Zach) , Cody Allen and Gomes. I'll toss a very shakey honorable mention to Santana given his second half.  

But it all needs to revolve around Klub.

Wilkins78's picture

Lori Schmidt just RT'd that Cabrera has been traded.

Rob Reese's picture

Yup.  To the Washington Nat's.

Go1Bucks's picture

Extremely disappointed by this.  Management is always yelling younger, hence Zach, but Cabrera deserved loyalty back.  At least he is going to a contender.  Loyalty gets you nowhere in Cleveland. 

Go Bucks!

Rob Reese's picture

Loyalty gets you nowhere in Cleveland.

There may be some truth to that.  After the Tribe tried and failed to keep the likes of Belle, Thome, Ramirez and others, you'd have thought that guys like Travis Hafner who actually had a modicum of loyalty to the club and wanted to play there, would have been given a little more fanfare on their departure.

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Sweet play against Texas though.  Who knows? Maybe Tito can get the boys going.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS