Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Jashon Cornell Signs His Midyear Agreement

Gray Box's picture
August 12, 2014 at 11:50am
22 Comments
J.Mo's picture

Is this midyear agreement thing new?

+2 HS
InTressITrust's picture

Someone else can probably say for sure but I believe it is a few years.  It is official and they can still sign else where but the coaches can talk to the players more often.

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+1 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

I think its more of a reservation type of thing.  Signing the midyear agreement is essentially solidifying the scholarship on the university side.  The recruit can still go elsewhere if they choose, but if not, the university is obligated to the scholarship.

Read my entire screen name....

J.Mo's picture

So why don't we hear more about this?

mmounts's picture

Usually they do not sign these until closer to signing day. It flares up every cycle and was discussed at length last year. 

chicagobuckeye's picture

Must also allow public statements about the player as usually until they officially sign they can't publicly talk about them. Usually pantoni uses the cryptic #boom instead of tweeting at someone. 

+4 HS
sharks's picture

Didn't Marcelys Jones sign his last year and leave KY fans in shock?

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+3 HS
BuckeyeTrappedInSouth's picture

While I am ecstatic he signed this, there is a great article about the dangers with it for Ohio State.  The NCAA is a complete joke.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/08/four-star_de_jashon_corne...

In Urban We Trust

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

I understand the concern, but of all the commits, Cornell is probably the last guy I feel we'd need to worry about.

tOSU class of 2009, College of Arts and Sciences

Tater_Schroeder's picture

...but if he signs somewhere else, Ohio State could be subject to retroactive NCAA recruiting violations. 

Quite literally one of the most idiotic things I've read in a long time. NCAA never ceases to impress.... 

How Firm Thy Friendship

+3 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Are coaches also allowed to comment on the player? Or does this not changing anything in that regard.

Wilkins78's picture

I believe they are.

Sims_tOSU's picture

I'm kind of surprised that hilliard hasn't signed this yet as well. Great news anyways especially since Pantoni tweeted that bc that means he is confident Cornell sticks since it would be a violation if he didn't stick with us.

sidz-z's picture

I believe it has something to allow the player to apply for financial aide or something along those lines

Good player's make the play's they're suppose to, great player's make the play's they're NOT !!!

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

From reading the Cleveland article, I'm still trying to figure out why any school would sign one of these? No drawback for the player, only a guaranteed scholarship,  including if he gets hurt. 

Only positive for the school seems like unlimited contact with said recruit. 

Retroactive penalties for talking about the recruit if he goes elsewhere?! Another NCAA joke. 

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Builds trust with the player. If they had refused to sign it, that would reflect poorly on the staff, no?

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

You're right. I guess my question is, why is this an option at all in recruiting? 

Buck-I4Life

TheBadOwl's picture

Because it protects the recruit. If they earn a scholarship and then an injury destroys their ability to play, they still put in the work to earn that scholarship. It's basically an insurance policy for the athlete.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

whiskeyjuice's picture

my head hurts trying to make any sense of this...........I now have 3 headaches at once.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+1 HS