Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Nick Conner offered from MSU today

bucks22's picture
June 2, 2014 at 6:44pm
25 Comments

The first of the big time schools from the midwest has offered Nick Conner today.  

MikeEagleBuckeye's picture

It will be interesting to see what effect this has upon other schools in the area.

+1 HS
Hayze's picture

Sucks we probably won't be able to take him. Only taking 2-3 LBs this class and Hilliard, SKL and Baker probably have those spots.

+8 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Wow this is bad news. This kid could go to MSU and play like a 6* against us for the next 4 years. Hopefully the staff pulls Hilliard,Baker and another top flight kid. Conner is a damn good LBer in his own right.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

If MSU thinks Conner is good enough to play defense for them, he's probably good enough to play defense for anybody. I really hope UFM offers soon.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+9 HS
BuckNutzGasMan's picture

While I TOTALLY agree, if we are only taking 2 or 3 LBs he is not going to be one of them.  I really wanted to see him a buckeye but unless we pull a Brady Taylor on him its just not going to happen.

+2 HS
703Buckeye's picture

This is when I wish the Bucks would take the extra LB... I feel Connor will be a great one and may haunt the good guys if he commits to another B1G school. For now I will take solace in the fact that recruiting never turns out the way we expect it to and Nick could still be a Buckeye by next February.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Pull Gibson's offer and go after Conner!

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+2 HS
theopulas's picture

don't get it twisted...msu doesn't get the same players and expectations are not the same....Conner is a good player and in the right situation could star, but OSU is going after what they think are elite players at LB.....

Theopulas

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

people need to realise that our current situation with other LB prospects makes the conner situation make sense. Although he is a great prospect, I think we are going to land Baker, Hilliard, and Kilby-Lane and be done at LB. Conner would, IMO, quickly commit if he got a proper offer. He will end up at MSU IMO, but as far as OSU is concerned, I think we land our top 3 LB's left on the board so Conner is left out.

+3 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

We all hope it ends up like you say but this recruiting thing isnt a exact science. Could just as easily wiff on a couple of the top kids and have kids like Conner already committed to rival schools ready for retribution. Its a serious chess game and we win a ton but we have been mated in the recent past.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

skid21's picture

And Conner could end up being the best of the bunch when all is said and done. The coaching staff just has to decide what chances to take and live with it. Playing it safe has it's drawbacks too.

+4 HS
luckynutz's picture

It sucks, because hes a homegrown kid with loads of potential. Just so happens that two of the states top prospects this year are lbs as well. Now, if one of hilliard or baker matriculate out of state, you'd have to think conner would get his offer. And if kilby-lane doesnt materialize for the good guys, same scenario. Just depends on how bad he wants to the offer, and if hes willing to wait that long.

KBonay's picture

He won't come back to haunt you...

-Chris Borland

+4 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Chris Borland was a fantastic linebacker for Wisky. But the Borland situation was completely different. Despite being from Ohio, he didn't grow up a fan of OSU. He grew up a Wisconsin fan and wanted to go there. It was his dream school. Even with an OSU offer, I doubt he wouldn't have been a Buckeye.

+5 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Considering he never beat Ohio State, neither did Borland.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+6 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Borland will make some noise at the next level for the 49ers.

+3 HS
GregNJ's picture

Nothing against the kid, he is a real nice player but there is a reason the local big boys are yet to offer. Hell people I know at UK are telling me that staff has backed off some on him and aren't sold he can play LB in SEC and in space. Even considering asking him to play FB at UK. I'm sure he will have a good career at MSU but like I said he is lacking big offers around the Midwest at this time for a reason.

Becool12's picture

Yup tell that to Borland, Keuchly, and all of the great linebackers who left the state of Ohio because we wanted to recruit elsewhere.  Offers mean crap these days because coaches only offer on athletic abilities and potential instead of desire and heart. 

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

So you know for a fact that Borland would have committed here if he had an offer?

Offers mean crap these days because coaches only offer on athletic abilities and potential instead of desire and heart.

Why are you acting as if the kids that do have offers haven't also busted their butts to get where they are? You don't think Hilliard, Baker, and Ricky DeBerry have desire and heart?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+4 HS
bucks22's picture

I know the Conners personally and what you are saying is 100% false.  UK has not backed off and if Conner wanted to commit today he could and it would be at LB.

+1 HS
Jeremypreemo81's picture

This is the type of situation that will come back to bite us in the end when its time to start playing ball.  He wants to be here

kmp10's picture

This is what Dantonio loves; a kid who is being spurned by his hometown, juggernaut, dream of a program. A kid who badly wants to be a Buckeye, but who, essentially, is being told 'you're not quite good enough, but if the kids we really covet go elsewhere then you're our guy'. Dantonio is saying 'Ohio State doesn't think you're good enough, but I think you're good enough. Come to MSU and make 'em pay' (btw, this is the kind of kid/recruit that Jim Tressel, figuratively speaking, would have signed, sealed and delivered at this point). I LOVE Ohio State. I'm an alum and this university and its football program have been a huge part of my life… but if I were Nick Conner it would be most difficult for me to not accept the MSU offer and make it my life's mission to repay those who turned me away and denied me my dream. But I'm spiteful, so...

Grande Gustavo's picture

I could be wrong on this, but this kid seems like our version of Travis Waller to Oregon. I think if and when we do offer him, he will be a Buckeye in a heartbeat.

The answer may not be at the bottom of a bottle, but it never hurts to check. 

+1 HS
allinosu's picture

At some point a bird in the hand comes into play. This feels like our TE situation of last year where we are left holding the bag.