Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

The Class of 2010: The recruiting class that never reached up to its potential

Becool12's picture
May 15, 2014 at 2:48pm
6 Comments

Today, I randomly decided to take a good look at our 2010 recruiting class. Compared to other years, this class was by far our down year. A year before the bowl scandal, OSU was arguably at its peak in terms of being a competitive program. We signed several players who were expected to make immediate impacts: Andrew Norwell, Jamel Turner, Rod Smith, and James Louis. Of those 4, only one has become a starter in his career. Turner never reached Ohio State and Louis not long after arriving on campus. Carlos Hyde was a risk because of his academic situation, Christian Bryant was a corner who played like a safety, and Philly Brown, who didn't have a true position, were lower ranked 4-star prospects that ended up being big named players. Two of the other top players in the class were late bloomer Jonathan Hankins and Bradley Roby, who were both unranked 3-stars. Many recruits were projects that had very high ceilings: Rod Smith, James Louis, Ty Williams, Verlon Reed, Chad Hagan. Even on a national scale, the class was all potential and not much production. According to rivals, the top 5 consisted of Ronald Powell, Seantrel Henderson, Kyle Prater, Sharif Floyd, and Keenan Allen. Of the 5, Keenan Allen was the only stud. Of the 27 5-star players, only 9 became nationally recognized players. Is it safe to say an entire class of players were disappointments?

dancorona5's picture

maybe...but not for michigan state....

RB Le'Veon Bell, LB Max Bullough, CB Darqueze Dennard, S Kurtis Drummond, DE Will Gholston, C Travis Jackson, S Isaiah Lewis, WR Tony Lippett, WR Keith Mumphrey, DE Marcus Rush, DT Anthony Rashad White

+2 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

That is a legit class. Tough-nosed kids.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Just shows how much stock you can put into recruiting rankings.  So much depends on projecting and developing players.

I did see a stat thought during the draft about the ratings of 1st round picks, and I think I remember it saying a high majority were 4 or 5 star recruits.  Anyone else see that?

+2 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

I actually heard that. Development is the key, a kid has to believe and buy into a coaches system.  

Calgarybuck's picture

Keenan Allen was recruited as a safety till signing day when he flipped from Bama to Cal to play with his half-brother.  So even with Allen I don't think that counts, FWIW Powell had some injuries to overcome and no kid dominated both ways like he did back in the Army all-american game, I thought he would've made a better TE but alas in the south your top athletes get thrown on D

Ahh Saturday's picture

I'd say the 2009 class was the bigger disappointment since it was rated much higher (4) than the 2010 class (22).  Using 247 composite rankings the top recruits from that class were Dorian Bell (20), Jamal Berry (35), Jamie Wood (77), Melvin Fellows (96), and CJ Barnett (99).  Of that group, only Barnett ever started a game for the Buckeyes.  Although the 09 class did have some solid players (Simon and Mewhort come to mind as perhaps the best) the class as a whole did not develop as hoped.