Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The Transfer Portal, Commercial Breaks, and the Future of College Football

+9 HS
OSU jamez's picture
December 6, 2021 at 11:00am
63 Comments

Let this forum be a place to freely discuss all the changes that college football has undergone in the past couple years. 

The voice of the fans should matter. Without us the sport wouldn't even be broadcast on TV. No NIL, no exorbitant coach contracts, no 45 minute commercial breaks. We are the engine behind everything that goes on here, our opinions should be taken into consideration.

I am deeply concerned with the way the sport is heading. I will list a few of my primary grievances, and then will leave it open for discussion.

One of my favorite things about college football has always been watching players progress over the course of their time here. Seeing guys like Zach Boren, and Cardale Jones come up huge for the Buckeyes late in their careers have been some of my favorite moments as a fan. I fear that with the transfer portal these stories will become less, and less common. The next Cardale will transfer for immediate playing time somewhere else. We will get great transfer players in return, but its just not the same for me. I liked rooting for JK Dobbins more than I liked rooting for Tre Sermon. I felt like I was on a journey with JK, I remember staying up reading recruiting info about him. Watching highschool highlight clips and being excited to see him in Scarlet and Gray. Maybe it's just me, but I think the one time transfer exception should be reconsidered. 

We need to talk about the commercial breaks. It is beginning to infringe on the viewing experience of the Buckeyes both on TV and in person. The frequency and the length of these breaks has gotten way out of hand. Without even getting into the quality of the commercials (separate discussion), having a commercial after a touchdown, and then another after the kickoff is just egregious. There needs to be some type of fan backlash against this, because it will just continue to get worse and worse. I picture the executives making these decisions, they probably say "We can squeeze in as many ads as we want, they'll still watch anyway." And they are right. Our steadfast loyalty to our teams are used against us as college football fans. They know we will tune in no matter what so they can continue dilute the quality of the broadcast to boost revenue. We have to say enough is enough at some point.

That is all. Open to all contradictions and counterpoints. Also curious to hear any other grievances I neglected to mention.  

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 63 Comments