Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Community Article - Biggest "Diamond in the Rough" Recruits

0 HS
UniotoTank55's picture
March 1, 2016 at 9:24pm
79 Comments

Explanation of the points system: two top ten lists were compiled, one for the community based upon comments and votes, the other based upon the resumes of the players mentioned on the thread.  First on a list = ten points, second = nine, and so on.

So here is the top ten biggest "diamonds in the rough" in terms of recruiting in buckeye history.

10. Bradley Roby, CB 2011-2013, 4 points

Roby is the fastest player I ever remember watching at The Ohio State University, which is why it surprises me he was only a three star in the composite rankings of his class.  He totaled 178 tackles in his career (132 solo, incredible for a corner), with 7.5 TFLs and a sack.  8 interceptions with a pick six and nineteen passes defended compile his stats from the secondary.

But my favorite part of Bradley Roby's game was his ability to pressure a punter.  The best at it ever to don the ol' scarlet and gray, in my opinion.

9. Devin Smith, 2011-2014 WR, 5 points

And now, this:

Another composite three-star, Smith wound up catching the second most career touchdown passes in buckeye history with 30 amongst his 121 receptions for 2,503 yards (fifth all time).  His best season was 2014, when he lead the nation with 28.2 yards per catch racking up 931 yards on 33 receptions, throwing on a dozen scores, which is fourth all-time for a single season by a buckeye receiver.

Worth mentioning is that Smith was 3-1 against TTUN in his career, and played a key role in both the 2014 national championship run and the 2012 undefeated regular season.

8. Chris Gamble, 2001-2003 WR/DB, 8 points

To go from being unranked in the composite to one of the key players for the 2002 natty is quite the accomplishment.  I’ve heard people say that the name “Gamble” fit Chris’s playing style, unfortunately I cannot attest to that due to my youthful inability to have followed his career.

On his career Gamble finished offensively with 38 receptions for 577 yards, and defensively he had 7 interceptions with one pick six.  It was key to the game though:

Gamble tacked on 851 return yards in addition to these offensive and defensive statistics.

7. Cardale Jones, 2013-2015 QB, 9 points

Another three star composite that turned out better is Cardale Jones, who accomplished the rare feat of finishing undefeated as a buckeye starting quarterback.  Of course, three of those wins from the year 2014, a year in which he famously began as the third string quarterback may be a little more popular than the others.

Cardale finished his years in Columbus with a 61.7% completion percentage with 2,322 yards and 15 touchdowns through the air, adding an additional 617 yards and 4 end zone trips on the ground.

6. A.J. Hawk, 2002-2005 LB, 10 points

I have the above picture autographed and hanging in my bedroom.

Hawk was a ridiculous tackler, his 394 career total* (196 solo*, 41.0 for loss* and 15.5 sacks*) ranks fifth all-time here at linebacker U.  He also showed an ability to cover pass catchers like, well, a hawk, intercepting seven career passes and returning one for a touchdown.  This wasn’t the only touchdown he scored on defense:

Five star-level accolades were many for the class of 2002 composite three star.  Twice named an all-american, A.J. took home the 2005 Lombardi award, Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year, a nod as a team captain, a sixth-place finish in the heisman, and was named the team MVP.

5. Malcolm Jenkins, 2005-2008 CB, 11 points

Malcolm Jenkins had a great career for a three star, finishing with 196 tackles (72 solo), 13.5 TFLs, a sack, and 11 interceptions.  He returned two of these interceptions for touchdowns.

2008 was when he brought home the hardware, however.  In that season he was named an All-american, team captain, and won the Jim Thorpe Award as the nation’s best defensive back.  His best accomplishment may be four pairs of gold pants, however, in addition to a 2005 Fiesta Bowl ring and a 2006 undefeated regular season.

4. Darron Lee, 2014-2015 LB, 12 points

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!!!

There's a reason Lee played quarterback in high school.  He was one of the most ridiculous athletes at linebacker the college game has ever seen, with probably the fastest closing speed at this level in the time he played.

Two seasons is all it took for Darron to rack up 146 tackles (89 solo), 27.0 TFLs, 11.0 sacks, 3 picks, 2 fumble recoveries, and a ridiculous 3 defensive touchdowns.  He holds a 2-0 record against that team from up North, a 2015 Fiesta Bowl win, and of course a 2014 National Championship.

3. James Laurinaitas

James has three stars as his composite rating coming out of high school.  You know what else he has three of?  Consensus All-american selections.

I hope Lil' Animal packed light when he arrived in Columbus, because he brought home a ton of hardware.  In 2006 he won the Bronko Nagurski Award as the nation's best defensive player, in 2007 he was the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year along with winning the Dick Butkus Award as the nation's best linebacker and being named a team captain, and in 2008 he was a team captain (one of only nine buckeyes to be named a captain twice, including J.T. Barrett) again Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and the Ronnie Lott IMPACT Trophy recipient for a combination of best defensive player and best character.

I pray you didn't try to say that all in one breath.  If you did, rest in peace.

His career statistics include 375 tackles, seventh all-time in Ohio State history (159 solo), 24.5 TFLs, 13.0 sacks, and 9 interceptions.  He lead the team three years in a row in tackles, with at least 115 each year.  The defenses he lettered in from 2005-2008 were never outside the top six nationally in scoring.

Laurinaitas has four pairs of gold pants, a 2005 Fiesta Bowl title and a 2006 undefeated regular season.

2. Troy Smith, 2003-2006 QB, 17 points

Troy Smith is the only player with a four star composite rating on this list, but considering the future landslide Heisman Memorial Trophy winner was ranked 136th overall in his class and 8th at dual-threat quarterback, I'd say he was a "Diamond in the Rough."

2006 was Troy's big season, as a 2,542 yard passing campaign (sixth most in a buckeye season) at a dumbfounding 65.3% completion rate with 30 scores (second only to Barrett in 2014 for a single year) earned him not only the Heisman but also practically every other national and Big Ten player of the year award, an All-american selection, a Davey O'Brien Award as the nation's best quarterback (only Ohio State player to win it), and a team captain nod.

Troy's biggest achievement might be going 3-0 against the skunks however, the first buckeye to do it since Tippy Dye in 1936.  He put up a great performance in the "Game of the Century" in 2006 for that final victory.

Troy finished his career with a 62.7% completion percentage for 5,720 yards (seventh all-time for the scarlet and gray) and 54 TDs (fourth) against only 13 picks.

1. Terry Glenn, 1993-1995 WR, 18 points

Glenn was a walk-on, and that is enough with his resume to take the cake (as said by Knarcisi) on this list.

His career stats aren't worth mentioning because he's renowned as a buckeye great pretty much only for his 1995 season.  But that 1995 season may be the best season a receiver has ever had at Ohio State.  Backing that up is the fact that it was the only year good enough for a buckeye to win the Fred Biletnikoff Award as the country's best wide-out.

The season included many catch-and-runs for Glenn like these:

On the year Glenn made 64 catches (fourth in a season for a buckeye), for 1,411 yards (fourth in the country that year and second for a buckeye in one season) and a nationally-leading 17 touchdowns, an Ohio State single season record by three scores.

He was of course, an All-american.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 79 Comments