Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Community Article - The Top Five Ohio State Assistants of All Time

0 HS
UniotoTank55's picture
February 15, 2016 at 9:48am
18 Comments

A great many assistants have come through The Ohio State University throughout its storied football history.  This thread is going to try to rank them five to one.

The points system to determine the final top five works like this: if you saw the thread earlier, the five most commented/upvoted assistants were ranked 1-5, with five points going to the favorite assistant, four to number two, and so on.  I then took all the coaches mentioned on the previous thread and built a resume for each.  I ranked these resumes 1-5 and assigned points in the same way, to create a 50/50 split between the community opinion and evaluation of resume to make a final top five.  I want to emphasize that this is only evaluating OSU assistants for their time at OSU, future head coaching success plays no factor.  

5. Mickey Marotti, 2012-present strength and condition coach, two points

It’s a science of physiology, but it’s also a science of psychology. Strength coach has evolved from just being the guy you lift weights with and have a running program with in the offseason to now where it is at a completely different level, with completely different expectations.

There he is, the greatest strength and conditioning coach in Ohio State history.

I wouldn't even say arguably.

Urban Meyer has referred to "Mick" as his "secret weapon" in the past.  In four seasons with Ohio State, Marotti has been a national example to follow for a strength and conditioning program.  Meyer gave him major credit for the 2014 national title, as did the country when he was awarded strength and conditioning coach of the year.

On another note, another reason I love Marotti is that he never sugarcoats anything.  I've heard that he'll tell a recruit exactly what's coming, and it's a great way to pick out guys who are going to work hard for the program.

4. Esco Sarkkinen, 1946-1978 Ends coach, four points

He was a big, big Ohio State man we'll miss tremendously. Coach `Sark' was instrumental in my being recruited to Ohio State.

Archie Griffin

The 1951 Ohio State staff.  "Sark" is in the black cap.

Esco Sarkkinen is the second longest tenured assistant coach ever for the buckeyes, coaching ends/tight ends (dependent on the era) for thirty-two seasons.  

Amongst his resume is five national titles, in the 1954, 1957, 1961, 1968, and 1970 seasons.  He played an instrumental role in recruiting and technique coaching, producing nine future NFL draft picks and five all-american selections.  Players that learned from Esco's teachings include Steve Howell, Jan White, Chuck Bryant, and two-time all-american Jim Houston.

3. Tom Herman, 2012-2014 offensive coordinator, five points

I'm very excited to watch Houston because they're getting an unbelievable head coach. We knew this day was coming soon. The way that he holds guys accountable, the way that he connects with coaches, the way that he connects with players, that's everything you want in a coach.

Cardale Jones

MENSA!

Herman spent just three glorious seasons with Ohio State.  But what incredible seasons they were.

The average season for Herman's buckeye offenses was scoring 40.7 points a game while gaining 482.4 yards, picking up 271.8 of those yards on the ground.  The buckeyes lead the Big Ten in scoring and rushing offense each of his three seasons with the buckeyes, 2012 the only season we didn't have the total offense per game lead. 

Speaking of the two years that weren't 2012, we were a top ten total offense nationally in 2013 and 2014.  His offenses were top five in scoring both of those years.  2014 was the crown jewel of them all, when the buckeyes averaged 44.8 points and 511.6 yards a game.

In addition to taking home a championship ring in 2014, by the way, Herman picked up the Broyles award as the best assistant coach in the country.

2. Fred Pagac, linebackers coach 1978-2000, defensive coordinator 1996-2000, eight points

I want to thank Coach Pagac for taking an overweight white kid who could run a little bit and making him into something that's pretty good now.

Andy Katzenmoyer

The man pictured above is the reason for the sayings "Linebacker U" and "Silver Bullets."  Fred Pagac, who produced a ridiculous twenty NFL draft picks from the linebacker spot, four of them first round selections.  Did I mention nine all-american selections?  How about a Butkus award winner?

Few were better at developing linebackers as an assistant coach than Pagac.  Tom Cousineau, Pepper Johnson, Eric Kumerow, Steve Tovar, Andy Katzenmoyer, Chris Spielman, and Craig Powell probably agree with me.

But the incredible resume doesn't end there.  "Pug" coordinated one of the best buckeye defenses in history, for the 1996 Rose Bowl champion buckeye team.  The defense with three shutouts, a 10.9 point allowance per game, and a holding of a rather potent Arizona State team to just 17 on the scoreboard.  He enjoyed some more success in 1997, his "D" recording an additional shutout and giving up just 13.1 PPG.

1. Jim Heacock, defensive line coach 1996-2012, defensive coordinator 2005-2012

Jim Heacock's defense has allowed this young Ohio State team to become a national contender.

Jim Tressel

I'll just leave this here:

Year Def. PPG* def. ypg* opp rush*
2005 15.3 (5, 1) 281.3 (5, 1) 73.4 (1, 1)
2006 12.8 (5, 2) 280.5 (12, 3) 98.3 (15, 3)
2007** 12.8 (1, 1) 233.0 (1, 1) 82.8 (3, 1)
2008 13.9 (6, 2) 293.8 (14, 3) 110.2 (t-17, 2)
2009 12.5 (5, 2) 262.3 (5, 1) 90.8 (7, 3)
2010 14.3 (5, 1) 262.1 (4, 1) 96.7 (3, 1)

*National Rank, followed by Big Ten rank, is in parenthesis.

** Heacock's defenses are more notable against the run, but in 2007 they lead the nation allowing just 150.2 yards a game through the air.

Notice that in Heacock's first five years as defensive coordinator, Ohio State was never outside the top three in the Big Ten for either points against, total defense, or rush defense.  Points against is where they most excelled, never allowing more than 15.3 points a game on a season or finishing outside the top six nationally.

Of course 2011 and 2012 were not as successful, but that is besides the point.

2007 was just ridiculous, and the country recognized that, awarding Heacock the Broyles award.  

Not to get lost in this is his recruiting prowess and player development.  Fifteen NFL players were drafted from Jim's defensive lines, four in the first round.  Players like Will Smith, Quinn Pitcock, Johnathan Hankins, John Simon, Vernon Gholston, and Cameron Heyward.

Heacock has a championship ring too from the 2002 squad.

Honorable Mention - Lou McCullough, defensive coordinator 1968-1970, one point.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 18 Comments