Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

This season will now be determined by our defense

Travis's picture
August 19, 2014 at 9:37pm
15 Comments

Whatever situations our defense puts us in, will now determine our season.

I feel with Braxton we could have a tight spot and still have a good chance.

With JT, I think he will show growing pains, which is only natural and can't be faulted.

I completely believe JT will be good and perform admirably for the Buckeyes.

But I think the impact of the defense this year will be bigger now. I understand that defense can be blamed for last year's problems, but even so we could usually rely on our offense to bail us out. I now think it's time for Chris Ash and the Silver Bullets to bail the offense out and return to the glory days.

Defense wins championships. I still think this is our year. O-H

Silver Bullet 10's picture

It'll be refreshing to actually be forced to rely on our defense for a change.

+2 HS
mtharp's picture

Totally agree. I refuse to call them the bullets again until they earn it again. Our d has been horrendous for a few years and really needs to step it up this year. 

+1 HS
NashBuckeye's picture

Hopefully Chris Ash wins the Extreme Makeover College Football edition contest and turns that disaster of last year into a dominating D. The talent is there unless every recruiting expert ever is wrong.

+2 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

Look for an Urban Meyer version of Tressel Ball.

+3 HS
jkrk's picture

Agreed. We'll probably average out around 35 ppg.

BuckeyeGrownFloridaLiving's picture

I 100% agree. I don't think they need to lock down teams and keep them below 14 points and force multiple turnovers but they have to keep teams under around 24-27. They have the talent and scheme now.

+1 HS
buckeye4life050233's picture

anything over 17 is pushing it.  17 and below is a good goal to hold teams to in the offense happy days of college football.  I can't remember the last time we scored below 17 but I believe it was the 2011 season

buckeye4life050233's picture

well I tell you what.  I honestly thought about selling my OSU vs Navy tickets and just staying home but screw it.  Ima go and watch the JT Barrett show

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

One game at a time. They just need to focus 4-6 at a time just like the coaches have been preaching. Herman and J.T. better become best friends real quick if they haven't already. I feel the team is still hungry and my gut is telling me that J.T.'s leadership skills will be shining bright by a few games into the season.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+1 HS
kareemabduljacobb's picture

I'm not so sure this is our year... but we should still have a great season, I can see an 11-2 type season.  The bright side is, most of this team will be back next year, the young studs getting PT this season will be more experienced, bigger and better the following season, and of course we'll have Braxton back.  If everyone at key positions stay healthy the following year, I believe that's when we'll make our NT run.  Should have a nasty, fast D and unlike this season a proven OL and playmakers all around for Miller to attack the field with.

+1 HS
SOF_Buckeye's picture

It may be premature and bold...but while initially stunned by the news of Braxton's injury, it occurred to me that this could be a rallying point for the team, the staff, for the entire season. All the pundits will now totally dismiss the teams' chances, and the team can use that as an 'us against the world' mentality. It's not a given, just the gut feeling of the opportunity before them.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Woody Hayes

+1 HS
blocko330's picture

I-O!

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

- TruthTeller

+1 HS
HeuermanTheFireman's picture

Urban Meyer isn't going to run any version of Tressel ball. He will spread the field and get out athletes into space. The tempo will be relentless and we will wear down the other teams. Nothing will change without Braxton except some minor play calling adjustments. 

If this offense even slightly resembles Tress Ball I will eat Birm's shoe.

EDIT: In response to (((Toilrt Paper))) above.

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

It took Braxton 3 years to learn all of CFB's nuances and he's still learning. I find it hard to believe Barrett can come in with no exp and just pick up where Brax left off. Its like expecting Bri'Onte  Dunn to be Carlos Hyde suddenly, it 'aint happening. 

On the flip side, Manziel and Winston both picked up the game swiftly in their redshirt freshman years and won Heismans so it can be done. Barrett was no slouch as a QB recruit either! 

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

jkrk's picture

If JT Barrett is a baller then Tom Herman is gonna get paaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiid.