Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Athlon Sports Expert Poll: Ohio Stadium is Big Ten's Best

Jason Priestas's picture
June 20, 2014 at 12:53pm
25 Comments

Athlon polled a few guys that write about Big Ten football and Ohio State was named the Big Ten's best stadium (in resounding manner, no less).

The poll's top five: Ohio Stadium, Nebraska's Memorial Stadium, Camp Randall (Wisconsin), Beaver Stadium (Penn State) and Michigan Stadium.

It is amazing how much Michigan football has fallen in the last decade. Take this poll at any other time in history and The Big House is a no-brainer top-two stadium in the conference, even accounting for Penn State and Nebraska's later inclusion in the Big Ten.

We're all pretty biased around here, so I won't ask for your pick as the league's best stadium, but who's your No. 2? For me, I go with Camp Randall in a slight edge over Memorial Stadium.

Go1Bucks's picture

Neb Memorial is  a pretty nice place and can be loud.

Go Bucks!

mh277907's picture

The Big House is cool in that it is... big. But the atmosphere blows. It seems to be a much older crowd, they can't even get students to the game and it is not very loud at all. The Notre Dame games at UofM seem cool on tv but maybe that is because the fans feel they have a chance at winning? I have only been to OSU games up there so I have never experienced that sort of fan sentiment.

buckeyebobcat

+3 HS
Bolt's picture

The stadium itself is kind of meh, as well. Since it's dug so far into the groun it's not like an impressive, imposing structure that you're walking into. Then once inside, in the name of cramming as many people as possible in, they have the smallest, most cramped seats of any stadium I've ever been to. I've heard that they've been trying to address this, but there's only one exit per section...which is allllll the way back up to the top at ground level. Going to the bathroom is literally a 45 minute endeavor.

BuckeyeRealist13's picture

I've been to both stadiums, Ohio Stadium actually looks bigger than Michigan stadium to me. Michigan stadium, somehow, just does a better job somehow of packing people in like sardines. 

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have. 

BUCKfutter's picture

i give beaver the nod. the loudest by far on this list, and the place that has given our buckeyes the most trouble over the past 15 years.

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

+4 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

When was he last time we lost in Beaver Stadium? Oh yeah, 2005...

LEBRON

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Technically, going back to 2000, we have lost more games at Purdue (4) than any other venue. Penn State, Wisconsin and TSUN are all tied for second with 2 losses.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+5 HS
luckynutz's picture

Not sure why, but there is some strange voodoo going on up at Ross-Ade Stadium. Aside from last years trip, its been tough sledding for our boys when they head to west lafayette. Was there in 2011...and the whole game is just seemed like the team was in some form of zombie trance for 3 and a half quarters. Then came the final drive...and miller engineered a beaut of a drive to tie the game...capped off with a beautiful toss in the face of pressure to jordan hall on the opposite side of the field. Then basik shanked the XP. And it was curtains in OT.

The whole time I was there, something just felt off. From the team to the fact they ran out of pretty much everything at their concession stands before half time. Hopefully kenny guitons smooth jazz was the answer to whatever curse seems to have haunted the bucks up there.

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

That dirty beaver is always difficult to beat!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

-1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

All the stadiums listed are fantastic.

jeremytwoface's picture

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+9 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Historically:
The Big House
Memorial Stadium
Beaver Stadium

Current game day atmosphere:
Memorial Stadium
Camp Randall
Kinnick Stadium

+2 HS
LouBuck35's picture

Only other B1G stadiums that I have been to are Michigan and Penn State (both in 2005).  PSU atmosphere for that game was absolutely insane and dwarfed the crowd effort at Michigan.  I'm with others that Michigan Stadium is impressive it's size, but it doesn't hold crowd noise well at all and the fans didn't appear to be into the game, which was shocking.  Based on accounts from those here and what I've seen on TV - I would have to agree with the list.  Personal experience maybe gets PSU up to 3 on my list.

I want a fall Saturday in Ohio Stadium..

VintonCountyBuck's picture

I can only rate the ones I've been to as a fan.  But of that list, Beaver Stadium at night for a whiteout is pretty impressive

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+1 HS
sivaDavis's picture
  1. The Shoe
  2. Ohio Stadium
  3. The House that Sanzenbacher Built
  4. The Stadium off the Olentangy
  5. Woody's Playground 

Probably the most realistic top 5. But that's just my opinion. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+10 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Damn right!

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+4 HS
Danify's picture

No. 2 would be Camp Randall Stadium. Went to the game @ Camp Randall in 2008 (Pryor late TD run) and that place is crazy loud.

+1 HS
Furious George 27's picture

With all those white outs I am suprised Beaver Stadium was not #1

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

There's a joke in there somewhere...

+3 HS
OSUStu's picture

I was always partial to Memorial Stadium (Indiana) because whenever I've gone there it is filled with Ohio State fans.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+3 HS
TSparky's picture

I have no reason to vote here. There is The Shoe then all the rest.

+1 HS
sharks's picture

Camp Randall is absolutely bananas at the start of the 4th quarter

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

-1 HS
halfmile78's picture

I've been to Purdue 3 times. Every time it was waaay too laid back. It had a small college feel. Last fall their fans left at halftime, I couldn't blame them. Tough place to get in and out of too. The Shoe is 100 times better on its worst day.

Halfmile78

TheVictoryBell45's picture

I've only been to one other B1G stadium and that was the big house in 2009 for The Game. I sat close to the field behind the endzone and I thought it was pretty damn loud. 

Wisconsins student section is almost always half empty to start the game. 

BuckeyeRealist13's picture

Michigan Stadium has been renovated in the last five years, and looks nicer than it ever has at any point in it's history. Should ne no worse than number three in my opinion. Most people would agree Ohio Stadium is number one in the B1G, I want to know where people think it stack up against the best of the rest. I've only been to four stadiums in the B1G so far (Michigan, MSU, Indiana, and Illinois) and out of that list Michigan is definetly number two, Indiana three, Michigan State four, and Illinois five. 

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have.