Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

What happened against Penn State last year?

flying-banana's picture
June 14, 2014 at 4:54am
29 Comments

What happened against Penn State last year? I mean schematically. Penn State wasn't a great team, but they were decent and we just beat them with a rubber hose. Did we do something different on defense or offense that made us so effective? Or were we just clicking on all cylinders that night? It seems like our defense never played that well again for the rest of the season outside of against teams liked Purdue and Indiana, and I wonder why.

Buckabroad's picture

What did we do that night? We set a trend.

"The minute we stop expecting greatness, we become Wisconsin."

+1 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Off night for them. On night for us. Also they were a young team and that's where the spiral came from IMO. 

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

We kicked their ass. Thats it.

+6 HS
You can't spell chump without UM's picture

The week before they beat TTUN and were probably thinking that coming into Columbus would be like having a 4 overtime snore-fest with the Maize and Blue. 

Just play like we did last week and we should be fine.

Brady Hoke ate my comment

osu407's picture

Besides the obvious fact that we are just better than PSU, we were fairly balanced and effective both running and throwing the ball.  In other words, that game probably showed closer to Meyer's ideal offense because successful running opened up the pass, which opened up the run, so on and so forth.  

Also PSU just really sucks

+3 HS
BUCKSOMIES's picture

We beat them like they stole something.

+2 HS
The Urban Legend's picture

We played Stanford football

The Legend continues

+13 HS
Johnny_Buck71's picture

always makes me laugh, always makes me upvote, and I always forget to use it. 

A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore. - Yogi Berra

+1 HS
bucndc's picture

Noah Spence!

He had a career night against PSU. He made Hack look like a freshman. By the end of the game, Hack was scared for his life.

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

The Nits were outmanned, outplayed in hostile territory.

OSU was not merciful...and I enjoyed every moment.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

OSU was not merciful.

I disagree. It could have been a lot worse than 63-14.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
RBuck's picture

They came, we saw and we kicked their ass.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

+1 HS
BoFuquel's picture

Head and shoulders talent above the Ped's, on the field, the sideline, and upstairs. No earthly reason every game against our lowly opposition shouldn't be just like this. We must bring home a years supply of Dr Pepper or bust. GO BUCKS!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

-1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Buckeyes scored a TD on the first possession.  PSU marched right down the field, driving 69 yards in 12 plays and seemed about ready to even the score, and then came the turning point of the game, Corey Brown's end zone interception. Buckeyes' O was rolling and the freshman Hackenberg had his confidence shaken.  Game over.

+7 HS
Poison nuts's picture

This is spot on!

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

Groveport Heisman's picture

The condom broke...It happens. Hopefully we wont have to pay child support.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+3 HS
OSUBias's picture

Herman and Meyer kept their foot on the accelerator the whole game, for starters. Defense got a couple of stops early (Pitt Brown INT the biggest), which allowed us to get a lead and force PSU into fairly predictable pass first offense. That took a lot of the typical indecision of our d and made them more aggressive. Dlineman didn't worry about the run and got after the QB, which hurried his throws and when our guys know he's throwing at the same time each drop back, even they could cover. Perfect storm. Will not be that easy this year. 

Slider...you stink

+1 HS
SilverBullet-98's picture

Ohio State's defense actually clicked that night, our D-line ate Penn St.'s O-Line's lunch all night long.

Hackenberg was all beat up, had to be taken out of game.

It still pains me to think what our season last year would have looked like had we had a typical Ohio State Defense to go with the record breaking offense we had.

It could have been a Championship year with a defense like normal. 

But our defense was hitting on all 8 cylinders that night against PSU. Plain an Simple

"The Past Builds the Future"

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

They got knocked the F out.....

+5 HS
Knarcisi's picture

I was at the game, same endzone, opposite side of the field. I've never been able to find video of it anywhere and it wasn't on the broadcast, but Marcus Hall did this little high step dance afterwords and made some motion toward the crowd, possibly where his family was sitting. It was like he was dotting the "I". 

+2 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

night game at the 'shoe-not an easy place to play and it needs to stay that way.

Jrclark14's picture

I'm a penn state fan but I actually like reading this website. With the exception of 247 it is put together much better than any penn state website. It was clear to see in that game we had a few talented individuals while you have a talented team. It had been trending that way for some time dating back to paterno's last few years and it came out In a big way that night. Very depressing. I do think franklin will change this. We'll see if can coach but we wont lose simply because we have lesser talent and that's why psu fans are so jacked for this guy. I look forward to the rivalry heating up. Might take another 2-3 years but as long as franklin and Meyer are around it will be battle in recruiting and on the field which should be a nice change for the bg ten. But for now you are still the gold standard of the conference. We are....

+1 HS
otrain2416's picture

Just out of curiosity, coming from your prospective, what are the expectations for Franklin in his first year in terms of wins?

Jrclark14's picture

We have an admittedly soft schedule. 9 games where we should be favored or at worst a pick em and 3 where we are the clear underdog (osu msu and @michigan) so if we get 7-8 of the games we "should" win and steal one we shouldn't then 8-9 wins is a realistic number. If hack gets hurt though all bets are off. Could be 3 if that happens. 

+2 HS
My2Sons's picture

Can someone please tell me what Franklin has ever done above average?  And be for real.

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

We have better athletes and football players, at every position. Soemetimes that just translates to final score. 

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

This was the same team that got rolled by Indiana. Coming into the Shoe at night? They're lucky it stopped at 63.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

Seattle Linga's picture

We scored early 

We scored often 

We could not be stopped that night

2morrow's picture

I think this year will be a different game and I hope we are not overconfident. Bucks still would have won last year but it would have been a different game if Hackenbergs receivers had not dropped 3 easy catches in the first two drives. At the end of the first quarter the score should have been 14-14 or 14-7 Bucks and I think the game is a little closer than 63-14. They will be crazy at Happy Valley this year and looking for some pay back.