Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Mike Bennett weighs in on the union issue.

AngryWoody's picture
April 1, 2014 at 6:45pm
15 Comments

Mike Bennett was very nearly a Northwestern Wildcat and he was asked about the union issue HERE

“I don’t know the full reason behind their union. I don’t agree necessarily with football players being unionized. We don’t necessarily see the money, but we are getting a lot of benefit out of our scholarships. It just kind of seems silly to want to be unionized because we get a lot of stuff that people don’t get. Yeah, we don’t get the same opportunities, but we can get set up for life after football if we really want to. So it’s all about taking advantage of what you do  get. I don’t think the union is necessarily a great idea. Everyone wants to get more money all the time, but I mean we’re getting a good amount.”

also:

“Yeah, it would be nice to get a little bit more, especially… I mean the cost of living is going up and I don’t think our stipend is going up, so I’d say a little bit more money is always nice but I’m not really in the business of trying to force people to do that.” 

Big Mike's comments came off to be really humble and thoughtful to me so I thought I would share.

BUCKfutter's picture

Was already one of my favorite Buckeyes on this team.  Now he might be THE favorite.

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

+8 HS
OWUWOODY's picture

Glad to see, not that I am homophobic, that this wasn't how Bennett felt about the bar "The Union"

"_arcus Hall gave the_ two, because he couldn't give the_ three!"

+1 HS
Scott's picture

Ok.

Class of 2008

buckskin's picture

Damn, that is a breath of fresh air coming from a player. This kid is wise beyond his years. Definitely captain material. Sounds like he is living in reality.

+4 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Very wise.

This union thing would a bigger mess than Ob*m*care, which is saying a lot.

He makes a good point about the cost of living going up, but the stipend not correlating with that factor. The cost of EVERYthing at the grocery store has skyrocketed the past few years, and not enough attention is given to this fact.

So, perhaps just increased stipends is the answer for now.

-5 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

The last time I tried calling the mods to one of these, I accidentally dialed the wrong number.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

Life is all about taking advantage of the opportunities that you DO have available, and a full scholarship to The Ohio State University is a damn great opportunity in life. My perspective being somebody raised in one of the many ghetto 'hoods in Cincy. I commend Bennett for his stance and taking a 'glass (more than) half full approach' rather than a 'what can you do for me/pay me/give me' approach all too common in college athletics and society in general.

If only people understood w...

Subscribe to www.11W.com/premium to enjoy the rest of this post and many others.

Gone ham, be back soon...

+2 HS
SwagstonMiller's picture

Man I love this guy. Humble, thoughtful, and wise beyond his years... (Maybe he could advise ol' Marcely's Jones about his twitter posts now?)

I hope he tears it up this season and is a 1st round draft pick. He's one of those guys that you want to succeed because they do it the right way.

tennbuckeye19's picture

I thought this story was about Bennett being weighed in the student union...

+1 HS
TresselourgodUrbanoursavior's picture

The point is, though, that the players are unionizing, BECAUSE they aren't getting a larger stipend. They aren't picking one option over the other.  This could all go away if the NCAA would loosen up.

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Very intelligent and refreshing. Just sew a C on that jersey right now. 

+1 HS
Scott's picture

For what it's worth, Ohio State football players already receive a lot of the benefits that players across the country seek, including extended health coverage after graduation, guaranteed four-year scholarships, the ability to return and finish a degree free of charge. You'll never need a union if you treat your players well, which Ohio State does. 

Class of 2008

+2 HS
BroJim's picture

Sounds like a well spoken young man. If anything college football players should be assisted with life after football, they don't need money, they needs skills and education. 

I season my simple food with hunger

THEOSUfan's picture

I am hearing from the APU group that health care is the big concern - that a kid can get hurt, not be taken care of by a university, and ways are found to get him off scholarship.  Not sure that happens too often because if it gets around that a coach/school throws hurt players away, that would have to hurt recruiting.  They are also concerned about long term health care.  Lots of guys who played football don't do well in their 40's and 50's.   I don't think players expect to be paid quid pro quo for playing football, but if they can earn a few bucks signing autographs or via jersey sales (or dare I say selling their own property), even if the money comes to them after their college careers are over, that doesn't sound too unreasonable.

I don't like unions generally, or in this case specifically, but this is what happens when the NCAA tries to hang on to an early-mid 20th century concept of "student-athlete" and "amateurism" in 2014.  The health concerns have been around since football has been around, but the players are significantly bigger and faster now, despite some advances in equipment.  And more importantly, hundreds of millions of dollars weren't washing through athletic departments in 1950.  The NCAA had plenty of time to address these types of issues and get out in front of it.  Now they are going to have to make adjustments to the definitions of student-athlete and amateurism or they will cease to be - and maybe that wouldn't be the worst outcome.