College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Rank the Best Stadiums/Fans for Best Game Experience

What Would Troy Smith Do's picture
July 23, 2014 at 3:12pm
9 Comments

Don't take into account college town or surrounding areas/bars.  Just the game and the atmosphere.  For this purpose, I guess you would describe it as how electric a stadium feels for a game at its best (big night game or game against rival).  So, more about the fans than the stadium I suppose. This isn't a where do you want to go based on history either (ND, Rose Bowl, etc..).  Sites like Cotton Bowl for UT/OU and Philly for Army/Navy (two of the best for atmosphere) not counted as they are one time deals a year.

To note, I've only been to two of the stadiums I'm about to name so I'm basing it on numerous TV watchings and word of mouth.

What do you guys think are the top 5 in conference and then nationwide and why?

B1G -

1. Penn State - Just seems to be the most electric when I watch.  Might have the best student section

2. Ohio State - I think if every game had the rabidness and hunger of the fans during the '09 USC game I would rank this number 1. I was there in '02 for my only trip when we beat TTUN.  That one stood out too.  It just doesnt seem to be consistent enough for #1.

3. Wisconsin - Everything I hear about the stadium and the fans and the passion is good

4.  Nebraska - best fans in the country?  Probably, and they are nice to boot.

5.  Iowa - I remember huge night games there being pretty good spectacles - '06 game vs. OSU comes to mind.

3423. Rutgers - Too high??

Honorable Mention - Or dishonorable perhaps would be TTUN.  If every game was like their first under the lights against ND it would be a pretty awesome experience.  Instead it is like playing in a morgue.

NATIONWIDE -

1.  LSU - they registered as an earthquake after a touchdown for crying out loud

2. Penn State

3. Ohio State

4. Texas A&M - criminally underrated in my opinion.  One of the best atmospheres anywhere

5. Georgia - When I think tradition rich college football in the south this is what I think of.  Strong student section and overall crowd.

Honorable Mention - Clemson, Alabama, Wisconsin, Oregon,  Washington

M Man's picture

B1G:

1. Ohio State.  Best Fans, best game day atmosphere, best band.
  2. Michigan.  Best stadium, second best band, best tailgating for the 1% in the Blue Lot.
  3. Michigan State.  Most underrated tailgating in the B1G.  A very nice surround, to a mediocre (at best) stadium.
  4. Wisconsin.  Worst parking; best walk to a stadium anywhere.  Good fans, and a fun place to watch a game.
  5. Northwestern.  Second-worst parking.  But it's Evanston.  Michigan and Ohio State fans love Evanston; it's like a home game in a different stadium.
  6. Nebraska.  Okay, maybe Nebraska has the best fans and not OSU.  Everything is great about a Nebraska game.  Except you had to go to Nebraska to see it.
  7. Iowa.  What's not to like about Nile Kinnick?  It's a pity that Iowa can't be rated higher.  And that they can't win more Conference titles.
  8. Minnesota.  They sell beer.  The team plays on grass field turf (it only seems like grass because the place has a kind of a baseball feel to it), outdoors.  There's tasteful bricks and new bathrooms and some nice stuff.
  9. Indiana.  Hey it is pretty easy to get to Bloomington; and it's not like the IU students are going to fight you for tickets.  They've got a dazzling scoreboard, which is great for following all of the real games that mean something on a Saturday in the fall.  Going to Bloomington teaches you what a cute, pleasant town Bloomington is.  And that it is in the middle of bumfuk nowhere.
  10. Penn State.  I wish I could rate Penn State lower, but there is too much excitement that surrounds Penn State football because there is nothing else to live for in that part of football-rich Pennsylvania.  They repurposed plans from a Third Reich ball bearing factory for their stadium, which is an interesting fact that not many people know about.
  11. Illinois.  Illinois (and again this is not a well known fact) used the Third Reich's plans for an Olympic stadium, because they thought the ball bearing factory plans were too ugly.  They were right.  Now their only problem is Illini football.
  12. Purdue.  Is about at the halfway point when you are driving from Columbus to Chicago to see a Cubs game or a football game in Evanston.  In West Lafayette, you could go see the Boilermakers, play, or go see the Tippecanoe Battlefield historical site.  I found the battlefield site to be fascinating, and a very pretty drive.
  13. Maryland.  Is in Maryland.
  14. Rutgers.  Is in New Jersey.  Exit 129 on the New Jersey turnpike.
+11 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Someone is fishing for up-votes....

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+1 HS
M Man's picture

No I really do believe that OSU is the best game-day atmosphere in the Conference.  I've said so at MGoBlog.  Upvotes there were not forthcoming.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

11W up-votes > MGoBlog up-votes

I'm just giving you a hard time... I gave you one myself.

YTOWNBUCKI's picture

One would think.  However, MMan usually is very fair weather, provides another perspective that's well written and definitely doesn't deserve half of the downvotes he receives.  

He is still a Michigan fan though, so he deserves the other half.

"If you root for Michigan, the terrorists win."

+3 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

As for Penn State being number one....

And you can tack on 2013 when they had an average attendance of 96,587

Groveport Heisman's picture

7 years straight of declining attendance? Damn don't let The Cult see this.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Seattle Linga's picture

I like the fact that Rutgers is last on M-Man's list just because it's in Jersey.

+1 HS
Ugly Hour Chazz Bear's picture

Worst stadium is Ryan Field for Northwestern.  My high school's stadium was nicer.  Getting to the stadium from downtown Chicago and getting back was a HUGE pain as well.  Would never ever go back for a game again.

I like the bux.

+1 HS