College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

The B1G should boycott Notre Dame

AngryWoody's picture
May 17, 2014 at 11:12am
30 Comments

Tom Dienhart from BTN.com thinks the B1G should boycott Notre Dame because, he argues, they basically use the B1G and demand we play them on only on ND's terms. He goes on to argue that we have enough money and enough exposure that we don't need to act like Nd's ***** and beg for them to play us when they have given us the finger and ran off the the ACC. Here's a snippet:

So, there was Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly talking at a recent golf outing about how he’d like to see the Fighting Irish’s series with Michigan and Michigan State continue.

(Slow, sarcastic clap.) Sure, it would be nice. Who hasn’t enjoyed the games between the Spartans and Irish, and the Irish and Wolverines? Great stuff over the years.

But Michigan and Michigan State should pull the plug on all games with Notre Dame. You, too, Purdue, which has played the Irish annually since 1946.

What’s the benefit to playing Notre Dame?

Big Ten teams don’t need the money that a game with Notre Dame would provide. Big Ten teams don’t need the exposure that a game with Notre Dame would provide.

So, why play ND?

You can read the whole thing HERE

I personally agree with Tom. ND can't have their cake and eat it too. They can't crap on old rivalries and buddy up with the ACC and then agree to play us only whenever it's convenient for them.

buckeyeEddie27's picture

Agreed. Piss on 'em.

I know there's a game Saturday, and my ass will be there.

+8 HS
KBonay's picture

I think both the B1G and Notre Dame have profited equally over the years. You have to remember, it's a business & they can run theirs however they want -right, wrong or indifferent. 

+2 HS
Crimson's picture

AngryWoody is angry.  However, if we can make money off of and spank ND on national television, why not?  We don't have to beg them, and we don't have to agree to unfair terms, but if the money is there, why not take it?  Well, hopefully MSU will spank them, but as long as someone loses in ND vs. UM, I'm sure everyone will be happy.

+2 HS
kholmes's picture

ND is pathetic in this incident.

-Notre Dame was the one that ended the Michigan series by handing a envelope to Michigan a couple hours before kickoff so they can meet the 3yr notice period (which meant ND got 2 more home games from Michigan and Michigan only got one).

- All that is fine and was part of the contract...except Notre Dame didnt like being called chicken because of that. So to try to change the chicken narrative, Brian Kelly tries to make it look like they want to get Michigan back on the schedule by making the quote above. Only problem is 1) then why did ND just end it? and 2) Michigan AD said in response that no one from ND has contacted Michigan about resuming the series since it was cancelled. So Kelly's quote is just a PR move to make it look like they want to still play the game when they have made no effort to do so.

+7 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

Wah! Wah! Wah!

You both suck.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

-10 HS
kholmes's picture

I wasnt trying to whine about them cancelling the contract...they had the right to do it so cant really fault them too much for it. Its Kelly's attempt to make it look like they still want to play is the part that is ridiculous.

+11 HS
teddyballgame's picture

You just can't trust those damn Catholics

+16 HS
Crimson's picture

Maybe we should only make deals with them on Sundays.

The fathers are holy on Sunday, and they're holy hell on the rest of the week

You just can't trust those damn Catholics on a Thursday or a Friday

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/05/22429/gordon-gee-still-making-joke...

+7 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Agreed. Been saying it for a while. Especially when the conference realignment moves were happening and ND struck a deal with the ACC. 

otrain2416's picture

The quote that did it all for me is Gene Smith said I call ND every year to schedule a home and home and every year they turn me down: pussies 

+13 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Woody used to say something along the lines of Notre Dame was one of his best recruiting tools because they were too scared to play Ohio State.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+6 HS
brunstar's picture

Agree, screw Nuttered Shame.  Let them play their ACC schedule and the service academies.  It takes away their recruiting advantage against B1G schools as well because there's no on the field comparison.

hetuck's picture

There was an interesting scheduling suggestion on Mark Packer's show on XM this week. A caller suggested each team in the Power Five conferences play eight conference games and one each from the other four power conferences (two home and two away). You rotate the set of opponents every two years. I like this idea with one addition: the OOC games are weeks 2, 3, 6, and 10. This way you're not traveling a long distance to start the season or before the season-ending rivalry game. You could arrange the schedule so you don't go on the road back-to-back. This is the only chance to get the SEC north in November (you could break up the four games to ensure a mix for all four weeks) unless you a playoff round (December). The downside? Six home games and when OSU brings in $6M for a home game, that's a big downside as we will see in 2016. It would kill the MAC, Mountain West, etc. As for ND,  unless you become a full-fledged member of a conference, you get five ACC games, BYU, the service academies, and three MAC, Mountain West, etc. We'll see how the committee looks at that strength of schedule. 

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

+1 HS
BuckeyeChris's picture

This was basically stated above, (props HETUCK) but... I have been saying this for years, but to include all major conferences. In theory I would like to see all major conferences get together on the notion, "Hey ND, until you join a major conference, none of us are playing you."  So, ND would be forced to create an entire schedule of Army, Navy, Air Force and assorted MAC and Mt. West, etc. schools.  This would virtually eliminate ND from the national championship conversation, devastate their recruiting and force them, ultimately, to join a conference. They'd have no choice. Of course, it probably wouldn't even come to that, if the conferences banded together ND's only choice would be to decide which conference to join. 

Hovenaut's picture

They have their history, their traditional rivalries and their tv contract.

All without the B1G (except the rivalry fodder).

But they don't have relevance.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
BoFuquel's picture

The Whore of South Bend is just a notch below any member of The Other Th"hurteen Konferentz on my hate-o-meter. Wow that makes her number 14 on my list. GO BUCKS!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

-1 HS
M Man's picture

We don't need to boycott Notre Dame.  They quit already.

+13 HS
Knarcisi's picture

They have Coast Guard on the schedule next year. 

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

You mean those Juggernauts from the CG?

+1 HS
bucksk1n's picture

There's a dirty little secret that Notre Dame tries to ignore and that is they need us more than we need them.  They like to think they are a national program but those days are mostly history.  

Need proof? Here's the television ratings for the nationally televised Notre Dame games last season:

Viewers    vs (Station)
2.50M    Temple     NBC
8.65M    Michigan    ESPN
4.79M    Purdue    ABC
4.79M    Michigan State    NBC
3.89M    Oklahoma    NBC
3.68M    Arizona State    NBC
3.46M    USC    NBC
2.56M    Navy    NBC
3.03M    Pittsburgh    ABC
2.29M    BYU    NBC
3.33M    Stanford    FOX

Notice a trend?

The top three rated games for Notre Dame were against Big Ten teams.  Purdue was easily the worst team in the Big Ten last year but the Notre Dame - Purdue game outdrew top ranked teams like Stanford, USC, Arizona State, and Oklahoma.  

The truth is Notre Dame's draw isn't attractive without the Big Ten and it is going to get even worse when they are forced to play 5 games vs ACC opponents in a few years.  The B1G has projected television revenues of over $45 million by 2018 while Notre Dame is currently getting about $12-15 million a year and will be lucky to have half of B1G TV revenue in a few years.

+13 HS
unknownmusketeer's picture

I also wonder how recruiting would change for Notre Dame if they didn't play local teams. Playing ACC school open up Florida and Maryland, but would they lose out on Ohio kids?

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

A little surprised that the Purdue game was rated higher than the Oklahoma game.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

buckguyfan1's picture

Good stuff BSk1n. 

RoyWalley's picture

Stopped reading when it started :  Tom Dienhart thinks....

Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Been saying this ever since they said NO to Big Ten membership.  In my opinion, the Big Ten has played ND wrong.  We tried to be friendly with them when we actually should have just shown them our teeth.

Read my entire screen name....

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

"...we actually should have just shown them our teeth."

See: versus Ohio State - 1995, 1996 and 2006 Fiesta Bowl.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
BuckeyeChris's picture

Exactly. Somehow, ND has convinced the B1G that it needs them .... it's much more the other way around. As was previously stated, ND will always have U$C, Stanford and Boston College, but if the other conferences would join the B1G in boycotting forgetting to schedule ND, their arrogance would lead to their ultimate downfall (See: Rome). 

Knarcisi's picture

Fuck Notre Dame 

Seattle Linga's picture

Just what are you trying to say Knar?