Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

The New High St

+10 HS
Drackett Tower's Finest's picture
August 14, 2023 at 12:36pm
92 Comments

So I went back for a Crew game over the summer and just for sentimentality I drove up High St. I didn't have the time with other commitments I had to walk around, but now that everything done, it feels.... off. 

They have been working on this for a long time, and it looks nice, but also just insanely sterile. I'm used to campus having a grunge feel to it, and that has all been removed. There are two remaining places that have survived from my era in the 90's

Buckeye Donuts: I talked to someone there two years ago and they said they have had multiple offers and they aren't moving. But.... they now have a location in the North Market, so they have a contingency plan built in now if they decide to take the buy-out.

The Newport: One of, if not the longest continuing music halls, and it's hard for me to see this surviving sadly. It's a beer soaked perfect music venue now sitting in prime real estate where they want luxury apartments, not drunk teens lined up to see live music. If they got the money to give the outside a face lift and got it listed as a historic site, maybe it stays around for a new generation.

What are your thoughts? I will get to walk around and check it out in depth more in September when I'm back for the Youngstown State game. Again, just driving down the street had a completely different vibe to it, at least for me.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 92 Comments