Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Hall Across The Country Week 9- The Hopeful End of Wheelgate

+29 HS
IamJoeHall's picture
July 16, 2022 at 10:18pm
22 Comments

Here we are again folks. Followed up a good week last week with one that had me feeling not so swift at times. Some mental hurdles that initially really rocked me. But I got through it for now.

Alas into the fray:

Day 57-I almost entered myself into the hammer throw for the Olympics, only I was gonna Chuck this stroller as far as I can. My front wheel got even more screwed up and the canter lever wouldn’t lock anymore. So I tied it in place to try to keep the wheel on. The forks on the front assembly were as crooked as a politician and it was really messing with me. I spent the majority of this 14 mile walk pushing the stroller tilted back on two wheels from Fowler to Kentland, Indiana. I had dinner at a nice little Italian place in downtown and set up camp near their community center. I decided to hit the hardware store and try to repair the wheel myself in the morning.

Day 58- I woke up and went to the grocery store while I waited on the hardware store to open. One of the employees came up and said she saw me the day prior and said I looked like I was on a mission. I told her about the walk and the reason why and she handed me a twenty dollar bill and walked away. She returned a few minutes later and said the manager was comping all of my groceries…I avoided the urge to go full “supermarket sweep”. After there I grabbed some allthread, nuts and bolts and tried to repair the wheel. I failed. I ended up getting breakfast and starting my day much later than I wanted to. I was not doing well. However my mom showed up (after a nearly four hour drive) to drop off some shirts and other things she thought I’d want from the house. She also still had the stock small wheel that came with the stroller so i attached it and sent the front end assembly back with her to do a warranty replacement. It was good to see her. I covered the remainder of the 18 mile walk to Wautseka, Illinois fine. I had dinner and camped at the police station. The PD even let me come in and grab a shower in the morning. 

Day 59- Covered 20 miles from Wautseka to St. Anne pretty well. Not hot and relatively breezy. The town of St. Anne arranged for me to camp at their community pond. It was a decent nights sleep.

Day 60- 15 farmy miles from St. Anne to Bourbonnais , Illinois. Got to feed my Panda Express addiction, got a hotel for what ended up as three nights, and rested. Also waited for my new front end for the stroller.

Day 61- My buddy Josh made the 1.5 hour trip from Chicago and we found a sushi place and I let him be my Yoda. We ended up demolishing a considerable amount of sushi, and I enjoyed it. Also saw Thor: Love and Thunder and liked it.

Day 62- was going to head out but storms were everywhere and I decided to just rest another day.

Day 63- Covered 23 somewhat painful miles from Bourbonnais to Braidwood, Illinois. The Braidwood FD gave me a bed, a shower, and we went to their town Summer Fest and I got to talk about the walk a little in between the band’s sets on the stage. Hopefully we get more donations for the fundraiser. 

I’ve just really been struggling with this “urge” to want to push my body to the limit. I feel like I’m letting people down if I don’t do 25+ miles every day, so I try to push forward. I’m still not eating nearly enough, and after a few days it compounds and I end up just wrecked. It sucks. I can’t get out of my own head as far as eating for fuel rather than taste. I’m still a fat guy and I want to enjoy eating a little bit. I dunno. Im not feeling super bad right now, but I just keep feeling like I need to do more. Go more miles. 

i hate listening to so much of David Goggins.

here’s to a better week this coming week as I press on towards the Dan Gable Hall of Fame and Wresting Museum

thanks guys,

Joe

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 22 Comments