Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Garmin Heart-rate Monitor Questions

+5 HS
BuckeyeChief's picture
March 30, 2021 at 4:46pm
15 Comments

Good afternoon, folks!

I know that there have been several fitness-related threads posted on here, but I haven't seen anything in the way of gear, and I have a question.

My fitness background: I have gone from a runner who lifts to a lifter who runs. Over the last few years, I have developed multiple issues, including knee and back problems that will keep me from doing anything over a 5K ever again. (I can't even run a mile straight at this time.)

Post-Navy retirement, I let myself get fat (up to 253 lbs) mainly due to the sheer amount of pain I have in my knees and back. I kept up the nonsense until my hernia blew up and I had to have surgery. Once I recovered, I started working out again and was at it pretty hard until covid shut everything down. Once the gyms opened up, I got back after it hard until I developed elbow bursitis; that's on-going, but I'm kind of at the suck it up and deal with it phase of things. I've been steady for about four weeks, and I am down to 244 now, with my goal being 220. (I really got tired of looking pregnant in pictures and hearing fat jokes from family and former shipmates saying "GD YOU GOT FAT!".)

Currently, I am averaging three lift days a week, with two core/heavy bag/run days, and a separate run day, which brings my long-winded story to the question...

I am in the market for a new Garmin, since I've had my current Fenix 3 since 2015, and have replaced everything but the actual watch. I am probably going with the 6X Pro (on a deal) and I am not sure what HRM to pick. 

Has anyone used either, and have a preference, with the main use being weightlifting? (I am very into tracking my calories burned, active time, heart rate and training effect, etc. I understand the 6X has a monitor on it, but I can't wear it while hitting that bag.)

Thanks in advance!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 15 Comments