Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

April 11 TIMH Fogerty's Revenge

+11 HS
Ludwig Yards's picture
April 11, 2017 at 11:38am
104 Comments

Not an earthshattering event but in an effort to keep TIMH alive…..Creedence Clearwater Revival released their 7th and final album today in 1972 – Mardi Gras. The album is unique in that for the first time, John Fogerty did not compose all the original material, or sing on every song on the album. Bassist Stu Cook and drummer Doug Clifford were forced by Fogerty to each share equally in those duties on this album, and Fogerty contributed only 3 original pieces, including both singles – ‘Sweet Hitch-Hiker’ and ‘Someday Never Comes’. The album was called ‘Fogerty’s Revenge’ by critics because it’s believed that Fogerty’s insistence on Cook and Clifford making equal contributions to the writing and vocals was in response to Fogerty’s bitterness over his brother Tom’s recent departure from the group, and the fact that the remaining members wanted more of a say in musical decisions. Well, be careful what you wish for I guess. 

Cook and Clifford also believed Fogerty was attempting to break up the band on purpose, in order to pursue a solo career. Perhaps they were right….CCR disbanded shortly after the Mardi Gras tour ended. Reviews on the album were fair to poor, including by Fogerty himself who several years later said in Rolling Stone he did not even consider it a CCR album.  "I figured that Creedence made six albums. Let me count... the first one, Bayou Country, Green River, Willy and the Poor Boys, Cosmo's Factory, Pendulum... yeah, six. I wouldn’t even count Mardi Gras and neither would anybody else. I had no control over anything after that. The rest is horse manure. Baloney."  

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 104 Comments