Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

OK: Oyster, Lay It on Me...(Smoke/BBQ Related Thread)

0 HS
osu07asu10's picture
June 22, 2015 at 10:50pm
140 Comments

So Baby 07/10 came through in the clutch on Father's Day and got me the Oyster recommended Masterbuilt Pro 30" Dual Fuel Chest Smoker. It's as awesome as it sounds.

For Oyster

The problem is, for the last decade plus I have been smoking on a Weber 26" classic. Oyster has been a major proponent of the chest smoker and making me realize my limitations on the Weber. I think I do a bang up job on a pork shoulder and some ribs but I digress. The new issue is I have no experience using a chest smoker.

So this thread (yes another BBQ thread) is for those who have specific experience using a chest smoker. I'm solid on cook prep, rubs, recipes, etc. Looking for experience using the chest smoker.

So Oyster, lay it on me, from:

• Seasoning/Breaking in
  • Starting the propane/charcoal/wood chips/chunks (I feel like I can use the propane to get some wood chips going and then add wood chunks to sustain heat? Do I always supplement with propane now? I've never been a user of propane
  • Cook temps (variations between lower racks v. upper racks)
  • Flue usage (I would assume cross flow over the box will just a little on the top flue
  • Any pro tips/mods to make it better

Just your general chest smoking wisdom.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 140 Comments