Yeah none of these are new from me, been told a few times on 11w but I was a former athletic department employee,....
- Malcom Jenkins used to drive a busted ass early 90s Mazda 323. Before he was an All-American he used to walk around the stadium during the summer time just taking it all in. He asked to come in a few times, obviously we let him and it was so awesome to watch him soak up all of the tradition. Malcom is one of the greats
- Watched the 05 Texas game from the sidelines with Thad Matta. Before the back surgery, Thad could always be seen running on campus and would respond with a hearty fist pump when you called out to him. He loved bringing recruits down on the field for football games. He was pretty amped up (and maybe a few beers deep) watching the game and when Limas Sweed caught the go ahead TD right in front of us, Thad screamed incredulously, "DID HE CATCH THAT?!?!?! THERES NO F'IN WAY HE CAUGHT THAT!!!!!"
- During the WHAC renovation, spring practice was held in the shoe and we had to help direct players to park in the concourse, Two stories:
1) Tressel came out one morning and was chatting with us, started asking us about how we parked the cars and where the first ones were and how the filed in. Awe struck and oblivious we answered Tress honestly with no idea why he was asking the questions. Well, he ended with Troy Smith's car being the last one to pull in. About 20 minutes later all the players come out for practice and Troy runs over to me and two other guys and says, "Y'all a bunch of rats, tellin Tress on me!"
2) Teddy Ginn was rocking an 05 Chevy Colorado. He rolls into morning practice, late, on a flat tire. As he turns the corner to pull in, he swipes a pillar in the concourse and scrapes up the truck. We go running over and he is like, "aww shit man...". Jamario O'Neal jumps and goes, "It's good, we're good, let's just go" I told Teddy we'd work on the scratches (which most came out).
After practice that day, I'm walking through the concourse talking to Brian Hartline (knew him from growing up) and we see Teddy, Whitner, O'Neal, Troy, Santonio...all around Teddy's truck trying to fix the spare tire..EXCEPT THEY HAD THE TRUCK IN NEUTRAL WITH IT ROCKING BACK AND FORTH! Seriously, heisman talent, 1st rd picks abound, and these fellas are underneath a 3,500lb truck that is wobbling like an old drunk man.
Hartline goes running over and throws the truck in park, yells at them, and we change the tire.
I have many more but those are the best!