Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Well went to the VA today

airbuckeye's picture
August 15, 2014 at 8:34pm
25 Comments

Went to finish signing up for my VA Med part of my VA not sure how it went just yet being after talking to the two nurse's. The last nurse that i saw to finish all the question they needed to ask left the room for a few minutes.

When she game back she had me follow her to anohter room and told me to wait there because the Doctor wanted to talk with me. So after 20 minutes the physiatrist came into the room and had me follow him to his office to talk.

We talked for about an hour and 20 minute's about my mood swings and depression and the voice's. He wanted to know about how many hours i sleep a day which i told him 2 to 4 depending on the nightmare's. He going to have them set up couneling for me and have some test taken.

Wants me to call if i get the feeling of doing something to harm myself which is a good thing i guess so maybe this is going to help get my life back to where it should be. I think i final did something right in my life for once in seeking help for me instead of always being the one to looking to help others to take my mind off my problem's.

Remy's picture

Airbuckeye, Thank you for your service and bravery. I wish you the best as you receive the treatment and counseling your doctor sees as best for you.

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." ~ Mitch Hedberg

+13 HS
buckeyeguy0615's picture

My last semester at OSU is coming up, and I need you to proof read all of my papers.

-10 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Would you mind proofreading the commenting policy first?

Thanks much.

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

+18 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Buckeyeguy, you mess with Airbuckeye, you mess with me. 

+11 HS
airbuckeye's picture

TY Remy but i did nothing more than what anyone else would have done by serving our Country and felt honored in doing so.

+15 HS
Hovenaut's picture

AB, I've been down some similar paths. It's not an easy thing to ask for help, and I still struggle with that admission daily.

Place trust in your beliefs, your family, your friends, your fellow 11 Dubbers. You're never alone, sir.

Will see you out there.

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

+8 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

One day at a time my friend.

+10 HS
Rob Reese's picture

There's a certain amount of courage needed to ask for help sometimes.  I admire yours.  Good luck to you, Airbuckeye.  

PS:  I always enjoy reading your no non-sense, straight to the point comments.

+9 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Airbuckeye, we are all behind you. Sorry you have to go through all that but there is help out there for you. You're a welcome member. I personally look forward to seeing your posts on here. 

I think many of us here have battled some demons. I know I have, and still do. God bless you. 

You've probably stated this, but when and where did you serve?  

+9 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

So many people are here and there for you. It's up to you to use them and its one of the hardest things to do - to admit you can't do it on your own. But once you cross that line, you never look back. And as much faith as I may lack in humanity, there sure are a redeeming few. 

Read my entire screen name....

+8 HS
VintonCountyBuck's picture

Much respect AirBuckeye..much respect.  I have family members who are currently serving in the military.  What they have been through, I cannot even fathom.  One is presently stationed at Great Lakes Naval Air Station just north of Chicago and suffers from PTSD from his tour in Fallujah a few years ago.  He struggles every day to hold himself together and be strong for his family.  

You, Sir, have done a great service for this country.  Your family on 11W is honored and proud that you are part of the community.

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+9 HS
Taspra's picture

Prayers out to you. You absolutely did the right thing in seeking help rather than suffer in silence. Major props and respect to you.

+11 HS
Habu71's picture

Airbuckeye, talk/write here, vent here, express yourself here if it helps. You have family here, and we're not going anywhere. Much respect for you sir. 

+12 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

Will pray that the Lord would give you a supernatural healing and peace.  Hang in there brother.

+9 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Good luck on getting everything straightened out, Airbuckeye. Sometimes, the strongest thing you can do is admitting to weaknesses. I hope everything works out and you get the help you're looking for. I'll gladly speak for everyone, and tell you thanks for your service.  

+8 HS
NCBuck1's picture

Here's to a good nights sleep with peaceful dreams Airbuckeye. You deserve it.

+10 HS
TURD_BUCKET's picture

Airbuckeye: Seeking assistance and guidance to help you navigate thru difficult times is a smart decision and a sign of strength. Make good use of professionals to make your life better. Finding peace and comfort is a goal worth fighting for, and remember the world is a better place because of you and...with you in it.

Semper Fi, bro

“Being average means you are as close to the bottom as you are to the top.”

+9 HS
ohiowhitesnake's picture

Air thank you for your service. I am active duty Air Force and spent time in Iraq...I too have bad nights. Stay strong and know that minus a few people who should be castrated, most of us have your back. 

+7 HS
airbuckeye's picture

Ty you all it was not easy to admit i needed the help because i have awlays felt my problem were mine and mine along to deal with because to admit i needed help was a sign of weakness on my part. But i realise that after all the years of fighing this on my own was not getting me anywhere. Yes i have won some of those battle's and i have lost a lot more of them but always keep my head held high because of my pride of doing so on my own.

But there come's a time when you have to admit to yourself that you can not do things on your own and i guess i have come full circle in my life and realise i need the help. So hopeful i can get control of my life again and be more helpful to those around me. All i can do is take it one day at a time and be open and honest with the Doctor about what im thinking.

+15 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

always keep my head held high because of my pride of doing so on my own.

Airbuckeye, you should still keep your head held high. I think you are handling this on your own...you just haven't yet realized that is what you are doing. Asking for help and discussing the issue is a serious way that you are helping yourself. So don't look at this as a failure on your part because asking for help and talking about your problems is just you helping yourself. So I am impressed with what you have done. It is often hard to talk to others about personal struggles but it might help you clear your mind. You never know that anyone else has had the same problem until you talk to others and that's why this can be so important. You made a decision to try to solve your problems and that is incredibly important.

As Habu71 said above, talk and vent here if it helps. It appears that many other members on this site can relate.

Take care and God bless.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

+4 HS
osu78's picture

Airbuckeye,

As fellow Buckeyes, veterans or otherwise, be assured you are not alone. We are here for you and want to help. 

ATT2121's picture

Thank you for your service. My thoughts and prayers are with you my friend.

"It all goes so fast, and character makes the difference when it's close."
Jesse Owens

+7 HS
GoBucks10's picture

Prayers for you, AB and as everyone has stated, thank you for your service.  With the sacrifices and dedication from you and your fellow comrades, the rest of us are able to enjoy this great country.  You have taken the best first step in terms of getting the support you need and I wish you the best on your future.  I sincerely hope you are able to make good progress!  Cheers!

"Because I couldn't go for three."  - Woody Hayes

+4 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture

AB, it's eleven warriors and not "one" for a reason. We are here to battle together. Stay strong.

How Firm Thy Friendship

+1 HS
thirtytrap's picture

AB just understand that you are not alone in your struggle.  I still have bad dreams at times however the rage has seemed to subside over the years.  One thing that I will say is to not use booze to dampen the feelings.  That only drags you down deeper into self loathing, I know....been there, done that.  Stay strong my brother and know that your 11 warrior family is here when you need us.

+3 HS