Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

God i hate getting older

airbuckeye's picture
July 20, 2014 at 9:18am
30 Comments

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with age because it's a part of life but it sucks when getting older means things are not as clear when it comes to memory. Some are lucky in that take they can remember things as clear as though it were yesterday.

But for some it's not that easy as it was in those days but you take the good with the bad and enjoy all that life has given you through out the years a thank God for everyday you are still here.

What i find that sucks though is i use to at one time know so much about the sport i grew up on and loved over time has started to slipped away little by little. There was a time i use to be a walking encyclopedia on tOSU and college football not so much now.

But thats ok because that does not take away the love i have for tOSU or the game and i can still enjoy those chrisp cool autumn Satuday's and every win the Buckeyes put up and know all is right and good on those Staurdays.

whiskeyjuice's picture

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+12 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I feel ya, Airbuckeye.

I'm going to be 50 in September(Me and Urban were born in the same hospital in Toledo, 2 months and 11 days apart) and my knees hurt so bad, almost all the time. I think most of it is heredity. And I also can rarely remember what I had for dinner last night, but I can remember every word on Van Halen's albums I and II from 30 years ago. WTF is up with that?

It does suck getting old, but I try to stay active and get as much physical fitness as possible. A sedentary lifestyle will kill one quicker than anything, IMHO. Actually exercise helps the brain as well, from what I've read.

And I thank God for every morning I wake up because you really never know...and I thank God I'm a Buckeye!

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I will be 50 this coming October and one of the things I noticed over the last couple of years is that I have a hard time recalling music lyrics from the 80's - from time to time I can't remember certain lyrics to some of my favorite songs anymore. Can't run right now - preparing for the big knee surgery this fall.

MN Buckeye's picture

Maybe part of growing old is not feeling the need to obsess about the details. I enjoy this site since I get all of the data I want, along with lots of opinion, but I don't always have the time or desire to own it all. Let me say that I am thankful for all of the generous people that do have the encyclopedic knowledge.

+2 HS
bodast67's picture

MN BUCKEYE....they will soon offer tickets to the OSU/Gopher game through the Mn. Alumni club. Let me know if you are interested in joining the group for the game. Archie and the band came to the 2010 game.

" I hope when I die, I die laughing"...                

MN Buckeye's picture

Thanks, Bodast! My wife and I are both interested in going.

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

I've accepted the signs of aging pretty well, yet there is one thing I miss, and that's the ability to "bounce back" physically from injury. I helped someone move a few years back and hurt my elbow. It ended up hurting for two years. Absolutely zero bounce. 

+4 HS
AngryWoody's picture

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm 26 and I feel that way all the time. Hate to see what I'm gonna be like when I'm fifty!

Our Honor Defend!

RBuck's picture

Don't feel alone Airbuckeye. I just read where James Garner passed away today. I remember coming home from school and watching the original Maverick on a 12" black and white and loved every minute of it. Now, where's my damn keys and Medicare card?

RIP Jim. You were the best.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

+4 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Loved the Rockford Files!

+4 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Just heard about this. I was a Rockford Files guy myself - Maverick was slightly ahead of my time but Rockford Files & the car stuff in that show had me captivated as a kid. He was a great actor.

Seems like time really speeds up with age & the days fly by. The good news is the season will be here soon...

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+3 HS
Hovenaut's picture

The wife just mentioned his passing, immediately thought of that show.

Loved the intro song, that Firebird (along with David Starsky's Gran Torino) was the first iconic car on TV that I was in awe of (the General Lee and KITT to follow later).

I'm probably (hopefully) halfway through this life as we know it. My short term memory has its lapses, but I share what I know and ask about what I don't.

What were we talking about again? (I kid)

Plenty to look forward to, especially this fall. Can't wait.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

My wife told me that James Garner was in the Notebook............Whatever that is.........

SilverBullet-98's picture

Ahhhhh Man!!

I hate getting old. I find myself watching old movies sometimes. All I see are ghost on TV when I do. Sad. I loved his generation.

"The Past Builds the Future"

+1 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

The beauty of this site is most of us have any idea how old the rest of us are. Until people start mentioning graduation years or games they attended, I just think of everyone as being 25.

+1 HS
The Urban Legend's picture

I base my age guess off of how much slang they can decipher when DJ posts anything. 

The Legend continues

+5 HS
Ashtabula's picture

I guess that shows your age, because I just assume everyone is 40.

+1 HS
southbay's picture

"This is Jim Rockford...", who can forget that answering machine greeting.  RIP James Garner.

+3 HS
halfmile78's picture

50 came too quickly for me and I wasn't prepared for it. When I pull a muscle or something it takes forever to heal up, not like when I was younger. And I can remember things I did as a little kid, but have trouble remembering things I did yesterday. I know 60 is approaching fast, and I dread the day it happens. Sucks basically. What I wouldn't give to be 18 again and know what I know now.

Halfmile78

+5 HS
RBuck's picture

Sorry Half but 60 sucks worse.

I don't care about the knowing part anymore; I'll just take being 18.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

+2 HS
lamplighter's picture

60 does suck (closing in on 61), but better than the alernative

+3 HS
Abe Froman's picture

Not quite there age wise, but after growing up playing football and wrestling, I think my body is 5 years ahead of my actual age.  I woke up last Friday to a toe/foot issue that is worse than I remember a broken toe.  What did I do to earn it?  I got one day older (46).  

Basking in the wake of mediocrity.....

Jabba1977's picture

I have the same problem and feel the same way.You are not alone!!

SECHATER77

+1 HS
allinosu's picture

When I was younger I never stopped. From flag football to softball to basketball leagues. In between I was running 10k and long distance bike racing and all the while walking 10 to 12 miles a day delivering the mail. For a short time I owned the jump rope record for 1 hr but someone beat it before the guinness year was up. My friends thought I was crazy. Now I'm 59 with a hip and a knee replaced and too damned stubborn to get the other two done and I also need tommy john on my right shoulder but I keep pushing on because if you give in you are finished. Keep trudging

+2 HS
rllbucks1's picture

Sorry guys 67 grad, turning 72 and going for my first 5k and the the 4 miler at TOSU in Sept! Might not be very fast but I believe you have to keep moving.! Oh by the way anybody remember the dat for the four miler? :-)

rllbucks1

+4 HS
HighBallAce's picture

I'm 38 and no one ever told me about ear hair!!! I mean seriously, ear hair? Not to mention memory problems and joint pain. When I was a kid, I could stand flat footed and jump up and grab the rim with both hands. I'm lucky if I can even touch the rim now. My mind thinks of what it wants to do on the court but my body doesn't quite react as fast as it did.......getting older sucks

whiskeyjuice's picture

I feel you. A buddy of mine just volunteered me to play a pick up basketball game this week. I don't know if I can do it anymore, lol.

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+1 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

Where in the hell did I leave them damn keys!

+2 HS
mr.green's picture

How to beat getting old:

1) keep physically fit. not just active. Golf alone ain't going to do it.

2) keep up on pop culture (music, tv, food, clothing, tech gear, movies). What's on your playlist?

3) keep learning new things. I'm saving skydiving for my 60s.

4) hang out with people of all ages and try to understand where they are coming from at all times.

This is my recipe, yours may be different  or you may choose to just embrace getting old. It's all good.   Go Bucks.

+5 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture

That is a solid recipe.  I know it's only online but 11W is a good start for #4.  It is a starting point for everybody.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!