You've laughed at the jokes, or maybe even made a few yourself. What's up with Iowa running backs, amirite?
Iowa fans have taken to calling this previously unknown deity as the Angry Iowa Running Back Hating God or merely "AIRBHG."
Thanks to a poster over at Hawkeye Nation, there is now irrefutable proof AIRBHG is an actual thing.
Here's just a small sampling of the carnage:
1. Mika'il McCall was the talk of camp and goes off in the first quarter of the first game, then suffers a broken ankle after nine carries
2. Rogers misses the first half of the season with the heart condition, then is cleared to play
3. McCall is cleared to play but doesn't see action against Minnesota and Michigan. Gets two carries at Purdue, fumbles and is benched. Suspended for the season shortly thereafter for undisclosed reasons
4. Coker somehow escapes AIRBHG for the regular season, but is suspended for the 2011 Insight Bowl for a violation of the student code.
5. Jordan Canzeri starts and plays well in bowl game, AIRBHG notices.
NOTE: Hampton has a breakout year for Southern Illinois, gaining 1,121 yards and scoring 17 touchdowns. He elects to turn professional with one year of eligibility remaining.
Mind you, this list covers 2001 through 2012. I don't even like Iowa, but it's a mind-blowing list of bad fortune I wouldn't believe if it weren't listed in front of me.