Standing at 3-0 and with Rutgers on tap, Urban Meyer took to 97.1 The Fan's airwaves to discuss all things Buckeye football with Paul Keels and Jim Lachey.
Meyer rolled into the studio 12 minutes late. Noted "many people say the Big Ten is the best conference. It feels good to hear that." Also said Rutgers outplayed Iowa in "many aspects of the game." He can tell by the look of their players Ash poached Kenny Parker, a former Mickey Marotti assistant.
Tom Herman wanted to hire Drew Mehringer, Rutgers' current OC, when he arrived in Columbus. Meyer didn't see the big deal in the priority graduate assistant hire, but he came into camp and made an "immediate impact" at Ohio State.
On transitioning from bye week to game week:
- "We have a template we've been using."
- Ohio State held a "spider practice" yesterday, just wearing helmets and shoulder pads.
- "I feel good with where we're at right now."
Long snapper Liam McCullough will start against Rutgers. "He's been more accurate with his snaps [than Aaron Mawhirter]."
On Ben Victor:
- "Damn, I want to play him ... We're getting close to letting him go."
- He "catches everything" and is "quicker than you think."
- He's a "great dude who practices hard."
The injury to K.J. Hill means Terry McLaurin will be the third H-Back behind Curtis Samuel and Dontre Wilson.
- "They run a style of offense. It's ours."
- Offensive line play is "much improved."
- Two "very good running backs."
- "Could've and should've beat Iowa last week."
Armando in Columbus missed his chance to question the King of Ohio State football.
On Noah Brown:
- Still not 100%
- "Each week he fights through it."
- "People forget he played in the national title game."
- There were talks about moving him to tight end. He didn't want to do it, and Meyer told him he needed to slim down. He lost 15 pounds.
Daniel in Pickerington: How does Meyer keep his defensive backs disciplined from biting on double moves?
- Meyer had a discussion with Kerry Coombs about that this week. Players were jumping routes in practice because they see same routes every time.
- "Practice is for fundamentals. It's not to cheat drills."
- DBs were good about it in practice yesterday.
On changing signals:
- Offense will just be this week.
- Luke Fickell changed his signals this summer.
Chris: How does leading men on a football field help make you a better father?
- "I'm always seeking advice as well."
- "Sometimes I take things home that I've learned from my players."
- "I handpick who I want [Nate, his son] to be around. The good thing is we have a lot of them in this program."
Dylan in Columbus: What is your favorite memory coaching at Ohio State? Do you have an age when you want to retire?
- "Plenty" of great memories.
- "To bring a national title to your home state is something I'll never forget... I love this state."
- "And when we won the Sugar Bowl." The whole three-game 2014 postseason was special to him.
- Meyer deflected the question about his retirement. "I'm just trying to beat Rutgers."
Full replay available at 971thefan.com.