With a steady rain falling across Central Ohio all day, Ohio State practiced within the dry confines of the Woody Hayes Athletic Center on Wednesday.
With his team's Big Ten opener looming three days away, head coach Urban Meyer met briefly with the media in the team room to provide updates and field questions.
- Asked about rectifying mistakes in recruiting before National Signing Day, Meyer again spoke about moving the recruiting calendar back so schools could get to know players better: "One thing about going to place and never playing, that's awful ... I think just open conversations and a relationship process to have honest conversations (to rectify it)."
- On rotating corners and putting one at nickel instead of outside corner, Meyer said having one with the skill set to play nickel is important like Denzel Ward.
- "I don't like kickers," Meyer joked.
- On Cameron Johnston, Meyer called the senior punter "a nut" when it comes to work ethic: "He's a grinder, a worker, sometimes we have to back him off." Johnston worked through an injury over the summer and didn't punt the first two weeks of training camp but because of his hard work is punting better now than last year.
- More on the corner position, Meyer never had three guys who can rotate and there not be much of a drop off: "That's recruiting." He credited Kerry Coombs for finding and getting Marshon Lattimore, Gareon Conley and Ward.
- The second-team offense ran Rutgers plays in practice and he took a step back and said, "That's our play." The similarities is something he is working against this week.
- Chris Ash had "a couple opportunities" to be a head coach but he told his former co-defensive coordinator to focus on the recruiting base around the area of the school which is why he went to Rutgers.
- Greg Schiano he has been “devastated” about hitting someone on a bicycle with his vehicle: “It broke his heart."
- Dante Booker remains questionable for Saturday against Rutgers with a sprained MCL. "That's a tough injury."
- More on the corners, Meyer noted how Lattimore and Conley have great size and long arms and Ward's "elite speed" is what sets him apart.