Rutgers made its first-ever trip to Ohio Stadium on Saturday and it surely didn't go as the Scarlet Knights had hoped, as Ohio State rolled to a 56-17 victory in a game that was never in doubt.
Ohio State redshirt freshman quarterback J.T. Barrett had another outstanding performance, guiding the Buckeyes' offense to 585 total yards as he was 19-for-31 through the air for 261 yards and three touchdowns. Barrett also carried the ball seven times for 107 yards and had a pair of touchdown runs in the third quarter.
The game was never close as Ohio State forced a three-and-out on Rutgers' first possession, then drove down the field for a six-play, 52-yard touchdown drive that was capped by a 12-yard pass from Barrett to Nick Vannett for the score. After another stop, Ezekiel Elliott scored on a 1-yard touchdown run to finish off an eight-play, 74-yard drive to put the Buckeyes up 14-0 just six minutes into the game.
Vannett added a second touchdown catch early in the second quarter and Elliott had 12 carries for 69 yards in the game as Ohio State led 35-7 at halftime.
The Buckeyes tied a school record with their fourth consecutive game of 500 yards or more and set a school record of scoring 50-plus points in four straight contests.
|8.1||AVERAGE PER RUSH||3.9|
|13.7||AVERAGE PER COMPLETION||10.9|
|19||RUSHING 1st DOWNS||7|
|12||PASSING 1st DOWNS||10|
|0||PENALTY 1st DOWNS||1|
|8.2||YARDS PER PLAY||5.1|
- With the win, Urban Meyer improves to 38-3 overall and 7-1 at Ohio State when he has more than one week to prepare for an opponent.
- Ohio State's 500-plus yards of offense for the fourth straight game ties the school record with the 1998 team.
- Rutgers totaled 345 yards of total offense as it came into the game averaging 426.7.
- Ohio State has now scored a touchdown on its opening drive in four straight games.
- Vannett's two touchdown catches marked his first multi-touchdown game of his career. He also became the first Ohio State tight end with two TD catches in a game since Jake Stoneburner did it against California in 2012.
- J.T. Barrett completed his first nine passes of Saturday's game. He also completed his final three passes against Maryland, giving him 12-straight completions, which ties a school record.
- Barrett's 107 rushing yards were a career high.
- Barrett was responsible for five touchdowns Saturday against Rutgers, which makes it four straight games he's had a hand in at least four TDs.
- Devin Smith's 42-yard catch in the third quarter was the 100th reception of his career.