Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Which Sport’s Coach is Most Worthless?

+7 HS
Silver Sniper's picture
August 19, 2021 at 3:06am
81 Comments

I was watching Copa America, as I’m a huge fan of Brazilian soccer, when it occurred to me that the coaches on either side didn’t really seem to be doing much. This got me to thinking about major sports that have head coaches or managers and which ones have the easiest/hardest jobs. While baseball managers appear to have an easy job, there is a ton of strategy involved with pitch counts, L-R handed hitters, who has the hot hand, etc. Basketball seems easy as well on the surface given it’s just five on five and everyone pretty well knows what they need to do out there. But there is a lot of evidence that supports successful coaches with, well, success. So, clearly, there’s a method to their madness that impacts the results. To me, where head coaches are MOST vital to team success is college football. There are sooooo many variables to deal with during the game, prior to the game, and then the whole offseason that the argument that “as goes the coach, so goes the rest of the team”, that I have college football in the top slot of being most important to the game. Help me out here with which head coaches are least and most important to the success of the team. And I’m not saying there are any that don’t impact the game at all, I just want your take on the different sports by comparison. I hate to do this to my beloved sport of soccer, but in absence of being able to think of another sport, I’ll list that as the one where the head coach least impacts the game and the team’s success. They kinda come and go from teams, sometimes the team is good, sometimes it’s bad, or the team is generally good or bad regardless of the coach. Also, there’s not too much for them to do once the game gets going besides sub some guys in and pump their fists a lot. This is intended to be all in good fun so let me know what you think!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 81 Comments