Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

TIBH-July 3rd- Oldest NB Son Edition

+11 HS
Todd-Not Boeckmann's picture
July 3, 2020 at 10:39am
8 Comments

Happy birthday to my oldest son.  Teaching him to love baseball was one of my most enjoyable jobs.  Here's to you, Greg.

1912 - Cleveland's own, Rube Marquard, wins his 19th game in a row in the season for the NY Giants; when he beats the Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers 2-1.  Combined with his last two wins of the 1911, it makes it 21 consecutive wins.  Both are records. 

Aside one-Its remarkable how many early stars of baseball came from Cleveland and northern Ohio.

Aside two- Rube Marquard is the first chapter in the book "The Glory of Their Times" by Lawrence Ritter.  Its arguably the greatest baseball history ever written.  He went around and interviewed alot of old timers before they died to get a first person view of what it was like to play baseball in the early days of the 20th century.  Its my favorite baseball book of all time.

1966 - PITCHER Tony Cloninger hits 2 grand slams in the same game against the Giants to become the first National League player to accomplish the feat.  His 9 RBIs in the game is also a record for pitchers.

1968 - Luis Tiant strikes out 19 Twins; the most strikeouts in a 10 inning game and combined 32 strikeouts in 2 consecutive games and 41 strikeouts in 3 consecutive games....all records.

1993 - All time Dodger Great Don Drysdale passes away in Montreal Canada.  It was once said of Don,  he was so mean, he'd throw at his mother if she crowded the plate.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 8 Comments