Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Bengals Day 3 Draft Discussion and Day 2 Review

+2 HS
Spartan13's picture
April 25, 2020 at 10:49am
88 Comments

So the theme of the last thread was Mims/Jones or riot and it is safe to say I am dumb and the media is dumb. Mims fell to the bottom of the second and Jones fell into the third round and was passed on twice by the Bengals. Zac Taylor said this is exactly how they wanted the draft to pan out and I believe him. Here are my/the media's consensus on the two draft picks

• Tee Higgins receiver-They had their choice of every outside receiver after CeeDee Lamb and they took Higgins. Pittman and Denzel Mims were options as well. The biggest difference is Higgins is very young(played this whole season at 20) and the other two guys are actually old. Hit rate on receivers who leave after their senior year is actually pretty low this early in the draft. While they had better athletic testing(by a lot) Higgins had better tape and the huge age factor is the reason he was picked before them. I saw a lot of people before hand say to grab Higgins and almost every grade I saw was an A and its hard to disagree. Other than him being an amazing player(60 receptions with a 20 ypc average) he fits the need perfectly. AJ Green is the 1, Boyd will get more focus in the slot, Higgins will be the third target when he is on the field which is great for that kind of talent. He will also split some time with John Ross when healthy which the Bengals a very talented skill group.
  • Logan Wilson LB-Taylor said the defensive staff was holding their breath all night hoping they could grab Wilson in the third. This one makes so much sense on every level. As a player he is a three year captain with amazing production at Wyoming. He tested very well which matched his tape showing he can cover very well. They need a LB of the future to start next to Germaine Pratt and this is it. Wilson and Josh Bynes will share duty in one of the spots with Wilson coming in on passing downs with the hope Wilson will join Pratt in 2021 as a 3 down linebacker. Another guy who people were in love with. Matt Miller and Daniel Jeramiah said this was an amazing pick and he will be a star. Another A pick. Fantastic draft through 3 rounds, one more good pick and this is about as good a draft as you can get. 

Entering day 3 it is important to adjust expectations. They have not drafted an offensive lineman yet as many insiders said they would likely avoid early this year. At this point in the draft the players are not expected to start year 1 and if any of the next 4 guys drafted are ever a regular starter it is a huge win. Every position is draftable except QB and the point is to find a good player not fill a need like Higgins/Wilson did. I think the Saints stole Adam Trautman from the Bengals last night though, they traded a couple spots ahead of the Bengals to grab him late. That was the theme with the comp picks in the third after a lot of guys the Bengals would take fell late. Lucas Niang, Malik Harrison, Matt Peart, Tautman, and Tyre Phillips all went very late. Anyways there are certainly some good prospects left here is the board and some guys I would like to see. 

• OL-Saadhiq  Charles LSU played LT for LSU but may be too short for tackle and not strong enough for guard, Ben Bartch would be a pick I would love, Prince Tenga-Wanago is a boom or bust tackle, Hakeem Adenji, Cameron Clark, and Jack Driscoll are other names that could go very early
  • Corner-With only 2 corners signed for 2021 this could be a need to get now. Amik Robertson is a very good slot corner pick that could be a fantastic value here, John Reid, Reggie Robinson, and Bryce Hall are other names
  • DL-There were constant rumors they wanted a DL so this could be a spot to grab one. Curtis Weaver and James Lynch have to be close to the top of the board for the Bengals and would not surprise me at all. 
  • Receiver-I dont expect them to double dip but there are still some pretty talented receivers on the board. Donovan Peoples-Jones, Antonio Gandy-Golden, and John Hightower are top level receivers still out there. If there is little confidence in John Ross and they want to spread it out more with Burrow they could grab somebody else. 

I hope they go OL and can find a starting right guard at this spot. RG is the biggest need and will remain a huge need. Next offseason they will need to resign so many guys(Green, Mixon, Jackson) I dont expect them to be able to go and get free agents to fix the line. I hope they like one of the guys left enough for RG. Everything else would a bit a underwhelming because it would be a pick for the future but that is how you build good teams so I would understand. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 88 Comments