Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Browns Mock Draft

+2 HS
Spartan13's picture
April 10, 2020 at 11:52am
20 Comments

With a little extra free time I am going to do a Browns mock draft. I am surprised to have not seen one of these with more Browns fans here than Bengals. You have also raided the Bengals threads to let it be known how great the Browns are compared to the Bengals. I will start with a needs analysis on offense and defense then go to the draft simulator. If you are unaware I use fanspeak and the most recent Matt Miller board to do it. Dont get mad at the players available its all based on the simulator.

Offensively-The Browns are very close to have 0 holes on offense. QB and RB are set. OBJ and Jarvis are very good but a third guy with talent could be found in this draft with a lot of receiver talent. With Jarvis and OBJ begging other teams to trade for them you dont know how long they will be in Cleveland. TE is set with Austin Hooper being signed and Njoku becoming TE2. Chubb and Kareem Hunt makes RB set as well. Jack Conklin was on of the best free agent signings as RT goes from bad to good. LT is the biggest need and has to be the target in the first round. IOL also could be addressed. OT,OIL, and WR are the targets on offense. QB, RB, and TE are not draftable. 
Defense-The Browns had one of the worst rushing defenses in football last year. Losing Garrett hurt of course but it needs improved. The defense really has quite a few holes. Both DT positions could be uprgaded, LB has pretty low talent, and a llong term safety could be added as well. DE and CB are the two most important positions for a defense and it appears the Browns are very good there. Denzel Ward, Greedy Williams are both young and should get better each year. Myles Garrett and Olivier Vernon are a fantastic duo as well. DT, LB, and S are the targets. A nickel corner if the value is right could also be added. 

1.Tristan Wirfs OT Iowa-The real target here is Andrew Thomas but Wirfs falling wold be interesting. There are abunch of similar OT prospects that a great but Thomas is the most pro ready and the only one who has actually played LT. The others are all RT and will either stay there or be forced to make a transition. Of the tackles Wirfs may have the highest ceiling being projected as high as 4 to the Giants. Wirfs would fit into LT on day 1 despite playing RT in college. On actual draft day Wirfs/Thomas are the ideal first pick then Jedrick Wills and then Mehki Becton. If they draft any other position they are crazy. 
2.Cesar Ruiz IOL Michigan-This is an incredibly interesting pick because there are so many places for the Browns to go. This was a hard pick for me to make. Ruiz, Grant Delpit, Jeremy Chinn, and Brandon Aiyuk are all great prospects that fill a need. I went with Ruiz for a few reasons. Ruiz will be good in the NFL his tape was great in college and he is a great athlete, he is able to play guard or center and can take over the weakest link of the middle 3. In one offseason the line can go from bad to great with Conklin/Ruiz/Wirfs. The Browns need to help Baker Mayfield and keep the drama queen receivers happy. As much as help is needed on defense this pick could turn the Browns offense into the best in the NFL, with the new system being ran the running game could be more important. 
3.Neville Gallimore DT Oklahoma-An interesting prospect that would play 3-tech. He is a r-Senior coming out of Oklahoma who has some freaky athletic testing numbers in the 40 but everything else is ok. He didnt have the best technique(probably should have went to OSU) which makes it weird because he is somewhat of a project despite spending 5 years in college. He has athleticism that is hard to find in DTs and could be a great speed rusher in this defense. He is over 300 pounds which makes him solid enough against the run. This was an easy pick. 
3.2-Adam Trautman TE Dayton-I know I said TE isnt a need but this value is too great to pass up. Trautman is the best tight end in the draft, he has incredible agility numbers, is ideal size, and is a great blocker. The Browns will run a lot of 2 TE sets and Trautman offers both depth and future upside. Njoku is in the last year of his contract and this makes a decision on him easier to make. This would be a great pick. 
4.Willie Gay LB Mississippi State-I want the Bengals to get him in the fourth but if they dont the Browns should take him. Among LBs Gay is the best linebacker in the draft and has the highest upside. He was suspended this past year for his tutor doing his work but he has 0 personality concerns. His problem is he plays with almost no technique. With how great of an athlete he is he was still able to bully dudes in the SEC. If he is able to improve his technique some he could be a great asset to a defense. It is easy to see him being able to turn into a pro-bowler but it will take time. 

The Browns dont have a 5th and the 6/7 rounds can be random and I dont know future needs for the Browns that well so I will stop here. This would be a great draft if it shook out this way. Getting that much talent on the OL is a dream scenario for the Browns who have spent so many resources on skill positions. The offense is basically fixed in an offseason. Adam Trautman will be the future TE2 in the new 2 TE system. Defense was able to have its needs addressed pretty well with Gallimore and Gay. While neither guy may be big day 1 impact players they both have rare traits that can be developed. With how the Browns roster is constructed the resources may not be there to have a great defense but if they can become good this is a dangerous team.

What are your thoughts Browns fans?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 20 Comments