Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Redskins "like Haskins, but Looking All Options"

+3 HS
BrutusB's picture
February 26, 2020 at 5:25pm
35 Comments

Washington Redskins coach Ron Rivera remains excited about quarterback Dwayne Haskins and continues to mention the plan they have to develop him. That won't stop Rivera from looking around, however, as the Redskins plan to host quarterbacks Tua Tagovailoa and Joe Burrow in pre-draft visits. Just in case.

Rivera told reporters at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis on Wednesday that hosting those two quarterbacks goes beyond doing due diligence.

"Everything is an option," Rivera said. "We're not closing the door on anything."

Alex Smith is the only other quarterback on the Redskins' roster, and there is still question about whether he will return from his compound fracture of the right leg. Rivera wants more competition for Haskins -- someone, he said, who can challenge him.

But even while meeting with other quarterbacks and possibly seeking another veteran as competition, Rivera remains upbeat about Haskins.

"We have a very good young player," Rivera said. "The more I learn about him, it puts us in a pretty good spot. I'm excited about him. One thing I have seen is his commitment. He's been around a lot. I walk by the weight room, there he is. I walk by the locker room, there he is. That's a sign of a young man learning that he needs to be around."

There's a few different ways to read this.  My personal take is that he likes Haskins, but with other QB-needy teams around the league it's smart to act like you might draft Tua or Herbert in the hopes someone sends a massive trade offer in order to move up.   Best case scenario for Haskins would be if Washington somehow traded down a few spots and they grabbed an OT to help improve the line (preferably more than one using the newly acquired draft picks).

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 35 Comments